Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Galaxy Bound

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
My Mac had a hardware issue in which I needed to replace the hard drive, which is good because I have all my data on a drive on time machine, however, before I had this hardware issue I was getting Kernal panics occuring due to Kexts.

How would I be able to restore all my files, bar these troublesome kexts and caches, keeping in mind I'm a developer, so things like certificates and passwords need to be kept intact. (Deleting them afterwards won't work, as it didn't work before.)

Thanks for the help :)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Can't you just reinstall the OS then use Migration Assistant to bring your data back in? Migration Assist is not going to copy over kext files.

Galaxy Bound

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Well it appears I can't restore it from migration assistant because it doesn't detect my Hard drive in Migration assistant, even though its available in Finder... Permissions fine, mounts and works fine... Perhaps theres a way to force detect it?

Edit: It's working fine now, I'm going to hope for the best and restore everything.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.