Installing OSX LION for a noob

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by g33, Dec 29, 2011.

1. g33 macrumors 6502

Hi All

This is the only time I will have ever upgraded my MBP to a newer OS. Whilst I have installed programs and clean installed numerous times on a PC im not too sure on how to go about doing it on a Mac.

So I have Lion on my drive now and mounted the DMG. Main question is, I seem to have read that on installing it will all my programs/apps i have installed like Adobe CS Suite etc still be there, and my folder structure still intact..ie folders and files on my desktop are still there???

Is this correct? If not I will hold off on installing it right now....

Cheers in advance :)

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Lion is what is called a Delta upgrade, meaning that it only updates the OS and related files, and touches nothing else, go right ahead, Macs are meant to be easy to use.

3. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

To be safe backup your files and then you can proceed with the installation.

4. g33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, should have responded :)

All installed and i didnt backup. I put some faith into Apple :apple:

Seems to work fine, however the first few boots the fan was going nuts.... dont know why but seems to be ok now.

I have read about trim support for my vertex 2e and am in two minds as to whether I should get this enabled due to conflicting reports of it slowing my machine down etc?

5. Senex macrumors member

When you finish the installation, perform an Option+Startup and repair disk permissions using Disk Utility.

Trust me, this will save you a lot of headache later.

6. g33 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok its running now. whats it doing it for???

7. Senex macrumors member

When the Lion installer writes the OS over Snow Leopard, it doesn't change any of the disk permissions (I can't believe they neglected to include that as part of initialization, but they did) ...if you don't repair them, the operating system will run choppy.