Installing OSX Lion on a Mac Mini MC936

Discussion in 'macOS' started by frink77, Sep 14, 2011.

1. frink77 macrumors newbie

Sorry in advance if this has been answered somewhere else. Tried to do some searches on the forum, but didn't come up with anything.

Is it possible to install OSX Lion on a Mac Mini Server MC936 (the one with two hard drives and a quad core 2.0 GHz core i7 processor)? I don't need all the server stuff, so preferably I'd like to install the consumer OSX Lion instead of OSX Lion Server. Or is it's possible to remove the server features?

Kind regards.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Have you already purchased Lion? If not, what happens if you go to the app store on the mini server? If it lets you download the $29 version of Lion I would think it will install fine. Whatever you do, be sure to back up installESD.dmg before you allow Lion to install as that is your only way to make yourself a usb stick that is capable of restoring Lion without downloading most of it again (in the event your HDD crashes or you are upgrading the HDD).

3. frink77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

Actually I don't own the Mac Mini yet :) I just wanted to know, since I'm considering what to buy. It'll definitely be a Mac Mini, but I prefer the quad core i7, since the benchmarks show it's somewhat more powerful than the others. It's delivered with Lion Server, so getting get rid of the server features by purchasing Lion through app store, would be a perfectly good solution for me.

I just want to make sure that there's no compatibility issues between OSX Lion and the quad core i7 processor.