installing osx on USB HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by impactnng, May 14, 2009.

1. impactnng macrumors newbie

is it possible to install OSX (panther or tiger) on a USB HDD? if so do I need to follow a specific guide on how to do this?

2. koopa35 macrumors 6502

y do people come in to a persons thread telling someone to search or something like that. if ur not gonna come into the thread to help out then y bother posting in the thread in the first place.

shake n bake im not picking on u. im just tired of seeing people with there little smart remaks telling someone to google something. that y these forums r becoming a waste. nobody wants to really help anymore.

3. koopa35 macrumors 6502

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

5. koopa35 macrumors 6502

ok i was going to do this as well. i have intel mbook so the link i posted will work for me?

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the link posted, is how to basically make a backup or your discs to a thumb-drive, not install the actual OS on the drive and boot from it. if the former is what you're looking to do, i can say that yes it will work without a problem as i have installed Leopard from a USB thumb drive in the past. installing the OS itself and booting from it might be a bit trickier, but i'm sure it can be done somehow.

7. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

It was well fit here. The recommended search even came up with his question.

8. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

And I'm tired of people not passing English. :p

9. koopa35 macrumors 6502

lol i passed english with a B. Sorry for the text messaging style typing I was using my apple device. :p

10. koopa35 macrumors 6502

I understand this but sometimes people may seem just lazy or something. The search function is not that great at times it pulls up the exact opposite of what you are looking for. Im not new here anymore and I dont know a lot like you guys. So instead of me coming into someones thread telling them to search I wont post in the thread. Thats just me but no harm at all.

btw how do u quote multi posts?

11. koopa35 macrumors 6502

great so if I back up my leo discs on my xhdd i can install to my internal drive if i need to? if so thats what i want to do.

edit: another ? if i take out my current drive with the os on it and put in a external enclosure will i be able to boot from that? my reason is i still have my 80gb that came with my white mbook. I want to u install leo on it and then put in a enclosure and let my sis have he own 80gb of space to use without using my internal drive. i hope that makes sense.

12. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I don't think you can because it is on 2 discs. I know for sure that you can install OS X from an external HD using the RETAIL copy of OS X. I do it all the time from a FW800 external drive. I can install Leopard in under 8 minutes to a blank internal drive. :D

Yeah, it'll work.

13. koopa35 macrumors 6502

ok cool

14. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I'm not sure I understand, as the Google search turned up his exact question with a swift answer. It would have been a quick and more thorough answer as well. In answer to your second question, you can quote multiple people by clicking the ""+" button to the right of the "quote" button.