Installing OSX onto a new hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chrisjg, Aug 29, 2009.

1. chrisjg macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've just finished installing a new internal hard drive on my mac book pro and now i need to install my operating system. As this is new to me I'm not sure what I should be doing.

I'm trying to install Tiger so that I can then install my leopard upgrade. (snow leopard is on its way to me soon too). When I boot my mac up it gets to the install screen where it asks me to select a destination volume to install. Because its a completely new hard drive there's just a blank space where the drives should be. What do I have to do to get the hard drive to come up on the install. Do I have to create a disk image or format the drive to mac or something?

Any help would be great as I'm completely stuck :confused:.
    Thanks

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

In the installer, go to Utilities -> Disk Utility and format the drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

3. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

just wondering what if someone didn't choose the (Journaled) option ?

4. chrisjg thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you mean in disk utilities under the tab for "erase". That's the only place I can find the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) option.

5. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

yes there

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It would still work as a boot volume. Journaling is just a safeguard against corruption. It's also possible to enable/disable journaling after the fact.