installing panther to tiger on a g4, need help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by drummr811, Jul 17, 2007.

1. drummr811 macrumors newbie

Im trying to install tiger 10.4 on my G4 ibook, and when i go to restart my computer to install it, i get a grey background, with a sign saying you need to restart the computer. and on top of that message, theres all these numbers saying error.
    i tried holding "c" when booting it, and i just get the numbers and letter and the error message.
    :mad:

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Just to confirm... It's a retail Tiger install DVD, right? Not an OEM copy from another Mac?

3. drummr811 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes it is, i got it from my family members new G5 laptop.

4. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

This seems to imply that it is NOT a boxed retail version, in which case it will not work. If you do not have a boxed retail version, get one off ebay for $40-$50.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There are so many things wrong with this statement.... you have a family member with a G5 laptop? Really? Is it this one?

[​IMG]

Since there are no G5 laptops...

- If you have a disc with a solid grey label on it, either from an intel or a PPC mac (iBook and Powerbook are the PPC laptops and Macbook and Macbook Pro are the Intel ones), then it won't work, because (a) they only work with the hardware revision they were provided with, and (b) the Intel discs don't install to PPCs anyway.

- If you have a retail OS X disc, I'm pretty sure it should have a black label with a big X across the entire diameter. That should work on your notebook.

EDIT... I hope this links in; retail discs look like this, and they work. System restore DVDs do not look like this, and they do not work.

[​IMG]

6. drummr811 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i forgot that it was just a powerbook, not a g5, i was just thinking of the newer generation.

the only thing im wondering, is why the software that came with it wont install on my G4 ibook.

what i have, is the software that came with the powerbook, the grey discs