Installing parallels 4

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jacob2342, Mar 1, 2009.

1. jacob2342 macrumors newbie

I'm trying to install Parallels 4 on my macbook pro (I had 3 on here previously) and during installation I get this pop up box that says "To continue the installation shut down all virtual machines that are running or suspended and close parallels desktop and related applications. Shut down these running and suspended virtual machines: Microsoft Windows XP"
    What do I do to shut it down?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Resume the suspended virtual machine, then do Start -> Shut Down in Windows.

3. jacob2342 thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I do that? Sorry, I'm fairly new to this whole mac thing! :confused:

4. broklynite macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. Except that I uninstalled it in order to re0install it. As a result I am unable to locate any theorhetical virtual machine which is suspended. Can anyone reccomend anything?

5. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

you need to:
    open parallels.
    let windows boot up.
    shut down windows.
    wait for it to properly shutdown.
    Quit parallels.

I think what you must have done is just quit parallels while windows is just running, this will "suspend" windows, not shut it down.

6. broklynite macrumors newbie

Yea I figured out as much. But now that it is already uninstalled I cannot start it up to shut down the virtual machine.

7. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

i dont use parallels but i know that VMWare has virtual machine files (the file that the host operating system is installed to). Does Parallels? Try deleting the file.

8. broklynite macrumors newbie

Already tried that. I've (from what I can tell) completely stripped Parallels from my system- I even went through the terminal with the sudo commands. There is no logical reason for it to think that there is a virtual machine even present anymore.

9. solipsist macrumors newbie

I fixed it by moving the Parallels directory in /Users/myusername/Documents or (~/Documents for short) somewhere else. That makes the Parallels installer unaware of any machines you may have previously made and run.

10. broklynite macrumors newbie

Hm, I hadn't realized the directory would still be there. I'll give that a go and let you know if it works in a couple of days.

11. broklynite macrumors newbie

Just wanted to put in a quick post- that absolutely solved the problem. There was a parallels folder right there in the documents folder (go figure) I just dragged it to the desktop, and was able to re-install, no problem. Thanks so much for all you help!

12. bdub01 macrumors newbie

13. NightGeometry macrumors regular

Not really adding much, but this helped me too, thank you very much.