Installing Parallels on mAc Pro what drive should i use?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by barnetda, Jul 27, 2009.

1. barnetda macrumors regular

I have just bought a MAc Pro

Currently it has the stock 320 Hard drive which i have partitioned into 2 volumes , one for boot and one for other.

I have ordered 3 more internal HDs which i intend to use as follows:

Raid Stripe hard drive 2 and 3 and use HD 4 for Time machine.

My question is i am about to install parallels.( I need to use Xp for some windows specific software but plan to have very little data on XP. Lets say a max on the drive of 25gb. )

So should i install Parallels and XP and let it default to my boot vol or should i install it onto my "others" volume or should i wait until my additional hard drives arrive.

I am not very techie and desperately trying to learn.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

2. oculus42 macrumors 6502

Use the Default Location

You can move your Parallels data folder at any time. Just go into the Preferences and change the location of the default folder.

EDIT: To be clear, If you decide to move the folder, go ahead and move it (I recommend copying, just in case), then go into Parallels and change the location.

3. barnetda thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for such a quick reply.

Would you recommend to start with i install parallels and XP onto my larger volume which i have named " other" or into my Mac oSX vol of the partitioned drive.

I have the drive partitioned as MacOSX 75gb and "other" 225 GB.

I understand what you are saying regarding copying it over at a later stage but just wondered what i should do today.

really appreciated .

4. oculus42 macrumors 6502

Data drive

Since you separated out the partition for boot and for other, I'd put it on the second partition.

On a less important note, the closer to the beginning of the disk a file is, the faster the sequential read speed is (on spinning disks). If you want to squeeze every last theoretical ounce of performance out of the VM, you should put it on the first partition. In reality, the difference is negligible because it's rare you will be reading large sequential blocks.

5. barnetda thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks very much. I will install now onto 2nd part of the drive.

Fully understood and as you say in my case the machine wont be reading large blocks at this time.