Installing Parallels tools while in boot camp Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Dontdothat317, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Dontdothat317 macrumors member

I am trying to set up a Parallels 4 VM for a Windows 7 x64 Build 7000 boot camp partition, but parallels tools will not install. Half way through the process, a windows unsigned driver security box pops up, and when I tell it to install anyway, it still rolls back the installation process and I get the message "An error has occured while installing parallels tools, click OK to restart your computer and try again." or something to that effect.

I have tried this about 15 times, and I have tried uninstalling/deleting the VM and re-creating the VM to no avail.

What I want to know: Is there a way to manually install Parallels Tools while running in the boot camp partition, just like installing any other application? I want to install it outside of Parallels, since for some reason it keeps screwing itself up when trying to set up the drivers as a VM.

Thanks!

2. Macmonter macrumors regular

Macmonter

3. Dontdothat317 thread starter macrumors member

everytime i reply there i get nothing.. maybe i should have gotten vmware fusion

4. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Parallels, if like other VM software, will have the tools stored as an image file (.iso?) somewhere in its program directory. Finding this while on OSX and saving it to memory stick or burning it to CD before booting up Bootcamp may do the trick for you. This is obviously heavily dependent on this tools.iso file being findable, I know VirtualBox is, not 100% on Parallels, but worth a shot.

5. Milfin macrumors regular

I've actually had great responses from the Parallel's support team on the forums.

I'm sorry I can't help with your Windows 7 install.

6. Dontdothat317 thread starter macrumors member

thank you all for the advice, the effort is appreciated :p I'll try again there.