Installing PC ATI 4890 - Advice needed!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Sumimasen, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Sumimasen macrumors member

Hi,

I have a 2007 Clovertown 8 core Mac Pro, and my Nvidia 8800GT just died, so I need to get a new graphics card with a bit of oomph pretty soon.

I have decided to go back to using an ATI card, as I have never had any issues with these in the past, but I really don't want to pay Apple prices for a 4870.

My ideal choice would be a 4890, which I understand will work in a Mac Pro - I would just like some advice on this, so if anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.

1. Does the card need flashing, or do any extra bits and pieces need installing to get this working? If yes, are there any good tutorials around to do this? I am pretty clueless when it comes to this sort of thing.

2. Is there a specific model of 4890 that I would need to buy? (I will be buying from www.overclockers.co.uk)

3. Are there any limitations when using this card, or are any features disabled? (I will be using it with 2 x 20" monitors, so dual monitor support is a must).

4. What cables will I need to source to install this card? Hopefully these will also be available from overclockers.

I will hopefully have a HD 2600 to keep me going, but as I do 3D for a living, a better opengl card is a must in the near future.

Any help, advice or even tutorials would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Paul

2. Sumimasen thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the link!

That seems pretty simple. Only question remaining is about which cables would I need to install? (I assume they won't come with the card).

Thanks!

3. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

edit: ill make a new thread...

edit 2: ok thread made I hope it helps :p