Installing Preview.app from Snow Leopard on Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by brdeveloper, Oct 27, 2013.

1. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Hello,

I followed this tutorial on how installing SL's Preview on Lion. But unfortunately the procedure doesn't work with Mavericks. When clicking the app's icon, I get "You can’t use this version of the application “PreviewSnow.app” with this version of OS*X".

Looks like it's an artificial (business) restriction and not really a compatibility as it worked on Lion. Is there a way I can run SL's Preview on Mavericks. The newer one is worse for reading PDFs... wider sidebar, horrendous slow font-smoothing (I already tried every defaults command for removing font-smoothing system wide, but appears that Preview uses its own smoothing algorithm).

2. Bear macrumors G3

It may not be an artificial restriction. Apple may have removed something that Snow Leopard's Preview needs from the OS with Mavericks.

Out of curiosity, what does Preview from Snow Leopard have that is missing or different in later versions?

3. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

I never managed to get SL Preview.app working in Lion (the Autosave functionality was a nightmare when viewing schematics on the server - rotations got saved "automagically" => constant writing and data corruption). I went over to Skim.app.

4. brdeveloper thread starter macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Anti-aliasing PDF text is slower in older Macs. Makes think I have something wrong with my eyes. Also, the sidebar is larger and occupies too much space from 1280x800 displays. In short, reading PDFs was better in SL.

5. tywebb13 macrumors 68000

I would advise against installing packages from earlier systems on a new one.

I once tried to install the tiger wifi onto leopard.

Total disaster! Big crash happened and couldn't repair the system!

Had to wipe the drive and reinstall Leopard.

I learn't my lesson the hard way and NEVER attempted to do something like that ever again!

6. pepede macrumors member

Hey, try read pdfs with built-in quick look. Its much smoother. I dont know why preview app is slower