Installing Programs Icon Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MikeT125, May 29, 2007.

1. MikeT125 macrumors regular

I am new to Apple products and have never used one until this past weekend (17" imac OSX 10.4). I have a lot of Windows experience but nothing with the mac.

Here is my question. I downloaded a program (Limewire) and then dragged it onto the desk top to install it, which worked out fine. I then wanted to put the icon for the program on the ribbon bar on the bottom of the screen. I was able to drag the desktop icon onto the ribbon bar but the desktop icon remained. I then took the desktop icon and put it in the trash thinking I was just removing the "shortcut". When I tried to start the program using the ribbon bar icon the computer told me the program is in the trash.....

I want the icon on the ribbon bar but not on the desk top. I'm sure this is pretty simple I just couldn't figure it out. Could someone guide me through the basics of this process? Thanks!

2. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Find the original application (which should be in /Applications, not on your desktop -- move it to /Applications if it's on the desktop). Click on that application and drag it to the Dock (the "ribbon" :)).

Does that help?

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The dock is the "shortcut", the whole application was on your desktop so drag to icon from the desktop to your applications folder.

4. MikeT125 thread starter macrumors regular

Do I just open the icon that says "Macintosh HD" and then find the Applications icon in there? Then I should drag my program that is on the desktop into that?

Once it is in the Applications folder, if I then click on it and drag it to the dock (thanks kali) will it remove the program from the Applications folder or will it just put the shortcut on the dock?

I am nit infront of the computer now or else I would try it. Thanks!

5. 66217 Guest

Drag the Limewire icon to /Applications (which is in the left pane of a Finder window), and the open it. After that right click the icon in the dock and select "Keep in Dock".

So now it would always be there, you can also select other options, like "Open at Login", etc.

6. MikeT125 thread starter macrumors regular

I will try that. That sounds like it should work for any program right?

7. 66217 Guest

Right.:)

About moving all your apps to the Applications folder is not entirely necessary. I have a separate folder for games, for example.

But it makes it much more easier to have everything in one folder. In fact, I never open the Applications folder, the Dock and Spotlight do the job.

8. MikeT125 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I will work on that. This is my Dad's computer. I plan on getting mine after the next imac upgrade.

9. MagicUK macrumors regular

MagicUK

As a new Windows to Mac convert who got a little lost on installing applications, I think it would be great if one of you "Mac Demi Gods" put together a quick FAQ/Guide together on installing applications on the Mac opposed to a PC.

In response to this particular post however I would like to add, under the label of newbie, welcome and isn't it great to have an OS that doesn't presume you are trying to do something and take over.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

;)

But there is actually one already so no-one needs to go to any effort, though it could do with a bit of a clean up.

11. MagicUK macrumors regular

MagicUK

There you go, Demi-God to the rescue.

Now we all heard you volunteer for the clean up, didn't we ;)