Installing programs, multiple users?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tumbleweed666, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

How 'well behaved' are Mac and third party apps in general (if its possible to generalise?)
    The reason I ask is that on Win XP (my iMac is "in the post" :) its hit and miss what happens when you install an app. Sometimes they ask if this install is for multiple users, other times they don't (iTunes being one of the worst offenders) and then the first time another user logs on or uses the app they get a very confusing (to them) license acceptance screen.

What would typically happen in OSX install? Or is there no such thing as 'typical' ?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Most Mac apps don't use installers at all, just drag and drop program to Applications folder. Where they do, I have yet to see an app that won't work on multiple profiles. They save their different preferences to each profile, but work on any. Not sure if that's your definition of "well-behaved" or not, but there y'are.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The Application folder is universal to the machine, all users can run apps in it.

If you have apps you only want certain users to run, put them in the Applications folder inside that user's Home folder.

4. Tumbleweed666 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks - Will apps usually only ask for the license conditions to be signed once per machine (assuming you just use the 'universal' applications folder), rather than once per user?

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You will likely have to create this folder first.

Most apps will only ask once per machine.