installing radeon hd4870 for windows only gaming

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by folp02, Feb 13, 2009.

1. folp02 macrumors newbie

hi all -

i want to install a hd4870 card for windows only gaming. from the research that i have done it looks like i can do it, but the one thing that has me second guessing the whole thing is the two 75W 6-pin PCI Express connectors that are needed. i'm a bit of a noob in this area and i'm not sure what those are, if i have them, or if they are connectors that i need. i've searched the forums and haven't found the answers that i need, so if you can help me out, hold my hand if you will, i would appreciate it greatlly, as my hd2600 kinda blows...

any help will be appreciated! thanks!!

mike

ps - my rig is a 2008 macPro 2.8ghz with 6g ram

2. TheCakeIsALie macrumors regular

That would be a power supply problem. I don't know what kind of PSU the Mac Pro uses (personally I've only been using MBP), but the two 6-pin power connectors come from your computer's power supply unit, and although the graphics card include adapters for 6-pin connectors (from two 4-pin HDD connectors per one 6-pin), your PSU must be able to handle the extra load.

Check your power supply unit on your Mac Pro. Anything above 450-500W would be fine, and just plug in the power connectors. You need both of them for the card to function.