Installing Radeon video card

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BLDun, Feb 28, 2008.

1. BLDun macrumors regular

I bought a Radeon 9800 Pro video card form my Power Mac G5 with dual processors. It comes furnished with a power splitter cord and says to plug it into the power supply or hard drive. I cannot find any place where this will plug in. The instructions that came with it are very vague and give no indication as to where this power source might actually be located. any ideas as to where they are talking about?????

2. Tracer macrumors 6502

Use one of the optical drive or hard drive molex power connectors to hook up the splitter to.

Tracer

3. BLDun thread starter macrumors regular

I must be looking at something wrong. I unhooked the two lines going to the hard drive and removed it. The hookups for the hard drive have very small tiny pins on the hook up. the one they sent with the video card has yellow and red wires and the pins are somewhat larger than the ones on the hard drive. Am I not looking at the right thing? Where is the optical drive located in the G5? I have mine open but cant see any connectors that look like they will accept this adapter.

4. MikeL macrumors 6502

Your G5 has just one Molex power connector in it, and that is used by the optical drive. What you'll have to do is buy a Molex splitter, disconnect your optical drive, connect the splitter to the G5's Molex connector, run one of the split connectors behind the optical bay into where the AGP card is, and then connect the other Molex plug to your optical drive.

Anytime you buy a flashed PC video card you have to make some compromises. Messing with cables is one of them, in this case. You might find others, too.

5. BLDun thread starter macrumors regular

MikeL, Thanks!! I finally found the connection but it necessitated totally removing the optical drive. But it is finally back together and running now. Whoever writes the instructions that come with the video cards either never put one in or just assumes that everyone knows everything he does. Thanks again for your help!!