Installing RAM, brushed against a component which snapped

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mjevansbrown, May 5, 2011.

1. mjevansbrown macrumors newbie

I've just installed some RAM on my MBP 17 mid-2009 Unibody and as I was doing it I brushed against a component next to the RAM space and the battery (really, I was light as a feather) - a plastic bridge-type component - yellow arrow pointing to the part on the linked image (image borrowed from ifixit.com). Does anyone have any idea what this component is called and what it does? My MBP appears to be working, but I'm concerned that I need to get this replaced.

Cheers in advance.

[​IMG]

2. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

looks like some type of clip to me... idk if it was plastic that's what i'd imagine it is... i wouldn't really worry about it, especially if your machine is running fine.

3. jegbook macrumors regular

There's a matching one a little to the left, left of the middle screw circled in red. Looks like it might be related to keeping the battery in place. If you're not noticing performance issues and (when powered off) shaking the computer doesn't result in any clunking from the battery, doesn't seem worth worrying about.

4. MUBiomed macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

I have noticed these when replacing hard drives. Mine "jiggle" a little bit when I touch them and I have noticed hearing them rattle about when moving the computer around (especially when it is off). Are yours movable to the touch as well?

P.S. mine are not broken (at least I don't think so :p)

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

When I changed my RAM I didn't touch that at all. It's at least a finger away.

Maybe look at MOBO replacement guide to see what that is.

6. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

Is that the clip where the bottom case snaps into? If I recall, there should be two pieces of plastic protruding from the case that locks into those and then the screws hold it all in place. Pop the bottom off and see if it has those pieces.

7. niteriderxp macrumors member

That would be one snaps that holds the bottom pan in place.
    It's not critical that you broke it but you might have quite a bit of flex on the bottom if it no longer holds the pan.

Are you sure you broke it though, they do move around to ensure that you can snap the pan in easily?

8. dgitalchaos macrumors member

Edit: never mind... posed same info as last two people...

9. mjevansbrown, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 6, 2011

mjevansbrown thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh yes! So they are. Sorry, it's quite obvious when you look at the bottom case - I was a bit tired last night.

It's definitely snapped - the middle bridge between the two screws has gone.

Seems OK though.

Many thanks for everyone's input.

Anyone know where I can get a replacement?

10. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

don't even bother. There is enough pressure keeping that bottom case attached at all points that you shouldn't even notice a difference. Apple doesn't even source an orderable part number to replace that clip

11. mjevansbrown thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that. If swivels around now as the bridge is broken is it worth removing it or do you reckon it's OK to leave it in?

12. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

if it doesn't stay put, I'd take it out as you won't want that swimming around freely in your computer. If it's chilling in place I would leave it as be