Installing RAM, easy or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mikebatho, Feb 3, 2011.

1. mikebatho, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011

mikebatho macrumors 6502a

Just got a second hand macbook, white model (see attached pic)

I keep hearing how easy it is to put in extra ram (I wanna go from 1 to 2 GB)

Is it easy enough fro a complete novice to attempt on this model?

I had a look on google, but there seemed to be a lot of different macbook body types.

If it is easy, and I decide to go ahead, can anyone suggest a cheap source for the Ram its'elf? eBay, Amazon?

Also, seeing as I hope to be running Photoshop, should I change the graphics card?

Cheers guys!

Attached Files:

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It's easy enough, there are plenty of guides on ifixit.com, and based on you having 1GB to begin with, you have one of the non-unibody models. You could get the RAM on amazon or ebay if you like, although since prices are pretty cheap at the moment, I'd check out crucial.com and buy it straight from there. The graphics card cannot be changed, however, so you are stuck with what you've got. That won't be an issue for photoshop, so no need to worry. You'll need DDR2 667MHz laptop memory to upgrade, and I believe the max you can do is one 2GB chip and one 1GB chip

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It's very easy. You just take the battery out and then use a #00 phillips screwdriver and remove a small thin aluminum plate that covers the chips. Then pull the chips out by the pull tabs and insert the new ones. Really simple.

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

3 GB is the max, but it does work with 2x2 GB. It's just more expensive, though you do get the dual channel effect. Not worth it IMO, but it does work.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

There are 2 key things to know.
    First- to orient the RAM the correct way --- check the RAM that comes out and you'll see that the slot in the contact edge is offset to one side.

Second- When you push the RAM into the socket, it will go in about 1 inch and then stop. You have to get both thumbs on the RAM and push harder, and it will go in an extra 1/8 inch or so, to seat it firmly in the socket.

If you don't push it all the way in the RAM will either not show up, or the machine will display a black screen and a pulsing power light instead of booting.

6. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone got a product or serial number for the kind of ram I need, or are they all the same?

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I mentioned it in my earlier post, but you will need RAM labeled DDR2 667MHz 200-pin SODIMM. It may also say PC2-5300, which means the same as the DDR2 667. Don't bother looking for apple-specific memory, that's the companies charging people an extra $10-20 for exactly the same thing.

8. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brill...cheers! I shall go check it out presently.

I'm wondering if I'm taking the back off, to do the ram, should I change the battery? It's only holding about an hours charge.

Anyone recommend a good one for my model?

I'm getting the bug now. Wonder how tricky the graphics card changeover would be, and which one to go for for light - medium Adobe CS work?

This advice is totally amazing for someone like me who knows squat! Thanks guys!!!!!

: )

9. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry, I overlooked the comment about the graphics card, I wasn't being ignorant, thanks for the advice

10. daustin21 macrumors newbie

Super easy upgrade.

Battery swap is up to you... Its not like you have to open up the case to get to it if you decide to hold off.

11. tug macrumors 6502

hi, crucial will scan the mac and tell you exactly what you need and you can order exactly the ram for you model. good luck on the install. dont forget to touch the metal plate under the battery to get rid of static.

12. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Static?

Also, I can't see the little screws I'm supposed to remove. Are they on the plate under the battery or on the edges?

13. tug macrumors 6502

hi mikebatho,
    cant tell where screws are dont know what model you have, but google it mate it will be there. when you find the screws you will need a Phillips 00 + a Phillips 000. DON'T use any other grade cos if you round them off it will be costly! good luck.