Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
Is it that complicated? do I have to get it done professionally? I take apart and build desktops all the time, but laptops....... thats a different story. How hard would it be to add another gig stick to my MBP by myself?

And on that note, what is the best NON APPLE RAM to get? the apple stuff is just too darned expensive!

(p.s. I know all about voiding the applecare and all that)

stillwater

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2004
Rowley, MA
Its very easy to do. All you need is a very small Phillips screwdriver to remove the cover from the memory slot. The new memory card just snaps in. The whole process only takes about 5 minutes.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
This guide from Apple steps you through installing RAM into your MacBook Pro. You work with computers, it's a piece of cake.

I'd recommend Crucial for your memory, they have a selector guide on the site which will select the correct memory for your MacBook Pro.

You also won't void your warranty so long as you don't break anything while you're installing it. I recommend you get hold of a Philips #0 screwdriver as the 3 screws you need to remove the memory door really do need a proper size screwdriver to remove as they're very very tiny.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
thanks for the info!

so i should go out and get a super magnetic screwdriver so I don't lose the screws, right?

:eek: :eek: :p

:cool:

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
BiikeMike said:
thanks for the info!

so i should go out and get a super magnetic screwdriver so I don't lose the screws, right?

:eek: :eek: :p

:cool:
or just keep track of them.... its not THAT hard. ;) :p

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
Xander562 said:
or just keep track of them.... its not THAT hard. ;) :p

I was being facetious ;)

I was reading the new MacAddict today, and they were saying how great the Mac Pro was because you don't lose the screws anymore for the bays. apparently they are all in some type of enclosure.

I don't think any cards on my windoze laptop actually has any screws in it.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.