Installing RAM in my i7 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by afellowlinguist, Jun 6, 2011.

1. afellowlinguist macrumors newbie

Hi MacRumors community,

I have a 15" 2010 i7 2.66GHz MBP that currently has the default 4GB of RAM installed.

Today I went ahead and purchased 8 GB of Kingston RAM. I was always under the assumption that RAM was expensive, but this actually came out to be pretty cheap.

What I want to ask is whether or not there are any known problems with regards to installing RAM that I should watch out for, either in general or related to this particular model of Kingston RAM, or my particular MBP model. Is the installation of RAM just "plug and play," in the sense that I install the hardware and it's good to go?

Additionally, I should note that I have Boot Camp installed with Windows 7 running on it. It runs flawlessly right now. Is there anything I should watch out for with regards to Windows on my Mac when installing new RAM?

Thanks in advance for your help! I appreciate the time that many of you take out of your schedules to offer aid and advice.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

No special instructions, you'll just take the old out, put the new it, make sure it's seated well, and use the computer as usual.

4. afellowlinguist thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice, guys. Just to clarify, after installing the RAM, it's good to go in both Windows as well as OS X? Nothing I have to do software-wise, correct?

5. simsaladimbamba

There is nothing you have to do software wise.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Plug and play, if it's seated correctly and not defective(sometimes happens), it will boot right up and be perfectly normal in either OS instantly.

7. afellowlinguist thread starter macrumors newbie

Just wanted to say thanks for the help, guys! I appreciate the feedback. :D

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

just turn off power when installing RAM.
    Replace it with old ones and your good to go.
    Mac will do everything else for you.