Installing ram PROBLEMS please experienced users help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -Josh-, Nov 17, 2007.

1. -Josh- macrumors regular

Alright, I bought 2 2 GB sticks from Newegg last week and im having problems installing ram (and yes, I saw the guide)
    When the ran is in, am I expected to hear a click?
    Assuming i'm not, when I screwed in the metal bracket thing covering the ram, it seemed un even, It seemed like my screws were too tight or the bracket wasn't poped in, (I cant figure this out) and I saw 3 pressure points where the screws lie.

anyway,please help. i'm getting a headache!

thanks,

josh

2. nikiski macrumors regular

Hello, you didn't mention if you are installing on a MacBook Pro or a MacBook... Mind clarifying? ;)

3. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

It's a SR Macbook. Thanks

4. nikiski macrumors regular

Well, I don't have a MacBook, but I helped my friend installed memory on a 2.16GHz MacBook.

If you have the battery bay on the right side, closer to yourself, the RAM slots should be facing you. The keys (notch) of the memory sticks should be on the left side. After you have positioned the memory inside the slot, I recommend rotating the MacBook so that the RAM slots are facing away from you (with a cloth on the desk you're working on, of course, to avoid scratches and stuff like that). Then using your index and middle finger, and possibly pressing the MacBook's edge against yourself, gently apply pressure, increasing the force until it seats inside the slot. There will be a bit of resistance.

After that, the L shaped metal bracket should be inserted with the shorter side first. It should be fine then.

Hope it helps. ;)

5. nikiski macrumors regular

6. TheStu macrumors 65816

I have noticed that when I fiddle with mine, I have to use a thin strip of stiff material (usually the end of a screwdriver for me) to push that silver foam stuff back in place (or does yours not have that?) that covers the RAM. There are 2 foam strips on the L shaped piece of metal... and if I am not sure to get that back in place, things just don't go right.

7. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

Please, someone tell me my Macbook isn't broken.
    I ordered 2 new 2 GB sticks off of Newegg.com. I tried to install it myself using the helpful guides on this forum.
    I never applied too much pressure, everything was soft.
    When i put the 2 sticks in, or as I thought they were in, and turned it on, I heard a beep sound. It wasn't a constant beep, it was a. 'beep" pause, "beep" pause, "beep", pause" beep" it took a minute to shut down. I hope to GOD they are not in there correctly and that beep is just letting me know they are not in there right.
    I immediatly took them out and replaced them with the old sticks, again with the same beeping. Please dear God let it be my stupidity and not my broken Computer.

I love anyone who replies to this topic, seriously, I want your babies.

thank you so much.

Josh

8. John01021988 macrumors 6502

hummmm I think that means BAD RAM. Ok, first of all, take your time while doing this procedure. Always ground yourself when you are working with electronics, believe, the static is a biatch and can ruin your components before you even know they are ruined. Take BOTH sticks out carefully, as the guide says, make sure that everything that happens in that guide happens in your macbook. Reinstall the memory back in place (try the ones you bought, then the one that came with the macbook), and if that does not work, try just using one bay, if it does not work, well, you could always go to the Apple Store and try luck if they can repair it for free :(

9. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Most likely cause is that you haven't pushed the modules fully home. As nikiski says, start again, take your time and make sure you seat the modules properly - they sometimes take quite a firm push to get them fully in the slots. They go in at a slight angle, then you push them down to a horizontal position so the two little spring clips at each end hold them in place.
    I've done loads of these - desktops and laptops. Desktops are much easier as you can see clearly if you've pushed them in properly. It's not always so easy to see with a laptop module, and it's very common to get it not quite right first time round.
    If your MB was working before the upgrade and you haven't done anything really stupid it's unlikely you've damaged anything. There is an outside chance the new ram is faulty, and an outside chance that static may be the problem.

EDIT: have a look at this: http://pencoyd.com/clock/2006/05/18/installing-macbook-ram-requires-significant-force/

10. TheStu macrumors 65816

I remember reading once that the human body can only feel static electricity if it is more than 30V, but it only takes .3V (or less) to damage or destroy computer components. So no lie, by the time you feel the shock, your equipment is already dead.

11. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Take all the RAM sticks out of the bay, and then screw in the RAM module cover/bracket. See if it beds in correctly or not.

If it beds in correctly, then take the cover back out, and inspect the bays where the RAM modules fit in- anything looks misaligned, broken, or otherwise "just not right"? If everything is fine, then put in just one RAM stick (that came with your computer), and close the cover. Make sure that you are aligning the RAM correctly with the connectors.

Boot up your computer and see if it is working fine. If it is, shut the computer down, and install the other module in the bay, and see if it makes a difference.

12. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

This beeping noise really scares me guys.
    but I freakin' love each and every one of you for your replies an concern. Seriously, i want to send you all $1,000 bucks. Seriously, thanks.

13. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

Alright gentlemen, F this, i'm going to the Macstore.