Installing RAM

Discussion in 'iMac' started by realph, Sep 7, 2011.

1. realph macrumors regular

I'm installing RAM into my girlfriend's new iMac (Mid 2011), where do I connect the disposable anti static wrist strap to?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

A sink faucet or any other metal plumbing fixture. It works, anyway.

3. speacock macrumors member

To the metal part of the casing so that you, the memory and the computer are all at the same potential difference.

In the old days you were always told to leave the computer connected to the mains so that you could be certain that you were actually grounded, but I think the health and safety police decided that was a bad idea, better to zap a computer than zap a human, though given it's your girlfriend's Mac not yours, you may decide different:rolleyes:

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

^ Well except that aluminum is non-conductive...

But yes, if there is a conductive component in a computer, say the metal power prongs on the back or battery prongs, that's the best place to discharge.

5. ThemacNub macrumors regular

Aluminium is conductive it's used in power lines

6. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Ah, I was thinking of magnetism. The idea stands; aluminum is less conductive than, say, the prongs that supply power to the machine.

7. keewee macrumors newbie

Wood is conductive too but yeah... some thing are more conductive than other

8. speacock, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011

speacock macrumors member

You beat me to it

Actually, there's a fair chance that the power pins are made of aluminium too, as are the power cables in the building and almost certainly the HT power cables that carry power from the generating station to the local substation.

Aluminium is a very good conductor, it's only slightly less conductive than gold, which is used in most of the other components of the computer.

The only widely used things that are more conductive are silver, copper and gold (in decending order). Aluminium is used because it is lightweight, relatively environmentally inert (compared to silver and copper) and much cheaper than the others.