Installing REAL Apps on the iPhone (dumb question!?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WardC, Mar 17, 2008.

1. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

OK, I sorta have an idea as to the answer of this already...the iPhone (with the legal 1.1.3/1.1.4 firmware) can run web-apps as of now...

The SDK has been released and developers are currently working on ::REAL:: apps for the iPhones...ones I have dreamed of are a video capture program, a mobile video editor and a photo editor, audio recorder, software zoom for the camera...alot of neat stuff that SEEMS would be possible with the right software.

I know that there are already coded apps floating around and people running them on iPhones. MY QUESTION -- does it take a 'jailbroken' iPhone or one running a hacked version of the firmware OR iPhone Firmware 2.0 beta to run these REAL apps right now?

OR can I run and install apps on my iPhone as is (my phone's running 1.1.3) and it would be great to download some apps and try them out. I just don't want to put the efforts towards it if I know it's not supported yet (from Apple I mean)

I'm guessing we have to wait till 2.0's out to be officially supported for downloading/installing SOFTWARE apps to the iphone (ie not webapps) CORRECT?

Thanks

2. rjohnstone macrumors 68030

rjohnstone

Currently the only way to run 3rd party "real" applications is to Jailbreak your phone.
    It's an easy process and very well documented.