Installing/Restoring Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mlivvy, Jun 17, 2013.

1. mlivvy macrumors newbie

Having trouble installing OSX Lion on a new ssd I installed on my 2011 mbpro. It will hang half way thru the install via the internet recovery. I tried to restore via time machine and get this..

[​IMG]

Any ideas?

2. ramram55 macrumors 6502

3. mlivvy thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi thanks for the reply. What if I don't have the old drive? The old drive died and I wiped it clean to try and fix it. I just went out and purchased a new SSD.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try this... option key boot and select the Time Machine disk as the boot source. That will bring up a recovery screen from the TM drive. Now start Disk Utility and erase the new SSD to Mac OS Extended. After that while still in Disk Util do a repair disk on the new SSD to make sure there are no errors. Then click restore and see if you get better results.

The fact neither Internet recovery or a TM restore will work makes me concerned your new SSD may be bad, or the drive cable maybe is bad. Could your old HDD have been okay, and it was just the cable all along?

5. mlivvy thread starter macrumors newbie

I tested the old drive on my pc and its working fine. I tried what you told me and the installation started fine via internet recovery but after 10 or so minutes it stopped with a spinning globe. Im suspecting the cable then. :(

6. mlivvy thread starter macrumors newbie

I have another 15" 2010 macbook with comparable specs. Will it be possible to put my new ssd into the 15", load osx, then put the ssd in the 13"?

7. ramram55 macrumors 6502

At this point does not hurt to clone the 2011 mbp using external enclosure and use the ssd to your 2010 mbp. Should work.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That should work assuming the cable is good. It is looking more like the cable though.