Installing Snow Leopard and Mavericks

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sgtbob, May 26, 2014.

1. sgtbob macrumors regular

sgtbob

I have a problem with a program that will not permit me to install it on Mavericks so that it works.

I would like to experiment with installing Snow Leopard on my Hard Drive by partitioning it and then installing Snow Leopard on the second partition with Mavericks remaining on the main partition. If I can get the program to work on SL, then perhaps it is a problem I have with my Mavericks OS X install.

I have made the partition of my 1 TB HDD into two drives of approximately 500 GB each but I do not seem to be able to figure how to install SL on the HDD2. Can someone point me to a paper or otherwise a method to accomplish the two OS X as I have described?

Bob

2. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

3. sgtbob thread starter macrumors regular

sgtbob

Snow Leopard

My 24" MAC is a 2008 model, and at one time I was running SL. I like Mavericks, but am trying to figure why a program I have had for the past 3 years will not work and I'm just experimenting with an older OS - IF I can getg it installed as a second OS on a partitioned HDD.

4. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

In that case, booting up with the SL install disk will allow you to designate where it is to be installed.

5. casperes1996 macrumors 68030

casperes1996

Well, it really shouldn't be a problem.

Well, it really shouldn't be a problem. As you state that you have already partitioned the drive, you only need to boot from the Snow Leopard install disc, (insert the disc, hold alt on boot and pick the disc), and the to select the partition of your machine to install it on. If this does not work for you, please specify exactly what results you are seeing.

6. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

Check for an update to the program you find troublesome on Mavericks. You might try deleting/reinstalling the offending program on Mavericks before going the dual-boot Snow Leopard/Mavericks route.

7. macuser453787 macrumors 6502a

Yep, what he said. The installer will prompt you to choose which volume you want to install the OS onto.