Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GRK

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2010
Midwest USA
i just ordered another copy of SLS for trans-shipping to Italy.

Anyone else outside of the USA need some help with SLS?

:)

Michael ... maybe a month late; but, since I cannot get Mac OS X Snow Leopard to run under Parallels 8, I need to get the Mac OSX Snow Leopard Server. I searched for it in the Apple Store; but, all I am pulling up is Mac OS X Snow Leopard for $19.95. I am unable to find SLS or to find it under "Apple Part Number: MC588Z/A".

Any tips would be extremely handy and valuable right now. Thanks,

Glenn

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Telephone orders only: 1.800.MYAPPLE (1.800.692.7753) - Apple Part Number: MC588Z/A

MIXMAN31133

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2013
Telephone orders only: 1.800.MYAPPLE (1.800.692.7753) - Apple Part Number: MC588Z/A

Hi Michael,

I have just finished reading through this post and I appreciate all the work you have done. I just wanted to ask you a question.

I recently bought a 2012 rMBP running ML, have not set it up yet. I have a retail copy of Snow Leopard, that has been installed on the 2008 MBP that I am typing this on right now. Do I need to purchase SLS or can I use the retail copy I have? And I also need to purchase Parallels 8? or will this work with Parallels 7 also, its cheaper. Lastly, from what I understand Parallels 7 and 8 will not run a copy of Windows XP, is that correct? I would like to get SL and Windows XP running on my 2012 rMBP, please clarify what I need exactly, thanks.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
You cannot use a copy of Snow Leopard that has already been installed into your other computer, the 2008 MBP. That would violate its EULA.

Since you have to purchase another copy, my strong recommendation is that you purchase Snow Leopard Server by calling the Apple Store as noted in my last post before yours.

Parallels 7 will work; you will not have "copy & paste" across the two environments.

Parallels 7 will also install Windows XP.

Be sure you have at least 4GB RAM and as much as you can afford.

What powerpc apps will you be running?

MIXMAN31133

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2013
You cannot use a copy of Snow Leopard that has already been installed into your other computer, the 2008 MBP. That would violate its EULA.

Since you have to purchase another copy, my strong recommendation is that you purchase Snow Leopard Server by calling the Apple Store as noted in my last post before yours.

Parallels 7 will work; you will not have "copy & paste" across the two environments.

Parallels 7 will also install Windows XP.

Be sure you have at least 4GB RAM and as much as you can afford.

What powerpc apps will you be running?

Thanks for the quick response.

I was planning on getting SLS if my copy wouldn't work anyway, its just as cheap on Ebay right now also.

The retina macbook is the 8GB of RAM 15" base model. I returned a standard 15" MBP the other day in which I already purchased 16GB of RAM for, I will have to return that also.

I guess Parallels 7 is gonna be my choice, since I need Windows XP. Parallels 8 does support Windows XP, correct?

Im not sure they are PowerPC apps, my 2008 MBP is a Intel core2duo chip.
Programs for SLS are, Final Cut Express, a version of Cubase, not sure which one, I think 5, Pixelmator, and a few others, although I am not sure I want my projects running in a virtual environment, is it prone to crashes with processor heavy tasks? Like rendering HD video, or playing back 24+ track with plugins?

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Thanks for the quick response.

I was planning on getting SLS if my copy wouldn't work anyway, its just as cheap on Ebay right now also.

I recommend you purchase directly from Apple for $19.99 + sales tax & shipping. eBay sales of used software raises license issues that are not worth the minimal savings, if any.

The retina macbook is the 8GB of RAM 15" base model. I returned a standard 15" MBP the other day in which I already purchased 16GB of RAM for, I will have to return that also.

I am confused; are you telling me all this information as a way to let me know you already have 8GB RAM? Yes, that should be enough to comfortably run SLS in Parallels.

I guess Parallels 7 is gonna be my choice, since I need Windows XP. Parallels 8 does support Windows XP, correct?

How much do you save over version 8? Have you "shopped" version 8 on the internet for the best price? Version 7 will run Windows XP.

Im not sure they are PowerPC apps, my 2008 MBP is a Intel core2duo chip.
Programs for SLS are, Final Cut Express, a version of Cubase, not sure which one, I think 5, Pixelmator, and a few others, although I am not sure I want my projects running in a virtual environment, is it prone to crashes with processor heavy tasks? Like rendering HD video, or playing back 24+ track with plugins?

If you do not have PowerPC apps, why do you want to purchase Snow Leopard Server to install into Parallels? Do these apps not work in Mt. Lion for reasons other than the lack of Rosetta?

MIXMAN31133

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2013
If you do not have PowerPC apps, why do you want to purchase Snow Leopard Server to install into Parallels? Do these apps not work in Mt. Lion for reasons other than the lack of Rosetta?

Because they are old apps, and I really don't feel like spending a small fortune upgrading to ones that will work with ML. Correct, some of the apps require Rosetta. These specific apps, are ones that are very stable with SL and won't run on ML anyway.

I know I can run Windows XP in Parallels 7 from your previous response, does Parallels 8 support Windows XP? If so, I would spend the extra to get the latest version.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Sorry for the error in response, yes, I run both SLS and Windows XP in Parallels 8 on my 2011 Mac Mini in Lion.

infobleep

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
Yes: That is the reason. Perhaps the photos attached to the first thread showing the grey discs with the word NO was not clear enough.

Also, purchasing a new, fresh copy of Snow Leopard avoids licensing issues involving your old Snow Leopard being used on your MacBook already as its EULA requires a second copy. I would prefer you spend the extra $19.99 + sales tax & shipping over the value of my time that it takes to remind you of that fact!

Lastly, as noted in the first thread: Apple now sells Snow Leopard Server for the same price, and it is much easier to install into Parallels and maintain.

Since you are outside of the USA or Canada, they may not sell it to you. I recently purchased a copy and sent it to Italy for a similarly situated user and that brought the price up to about $60 (including original sales tax and shipping) and took from March 12 to March 30 for it to arrive using International Priority Mail.

If you attempt to purchase SLS from Apple, please report the result of your attempts.

When I first read about SLS I thought it was snow leopard that was only available in America but then I found out it was available in the UK and forgot all about SLS.

I was messing around with the grey disks because it was a weekend and if I did order snow leopard retail, it would take a few days to arrive anyway. Anyway good to know it will work.

The server version sounds good but given that I doubt I actually need any of the advanced features, will I just end up spending more time trying to get things working. I've read online that the documentation for SLS is good though.

I already have a synology diskstation and it's hard enough at times trying to get things to work on that. In fact sometimes on it don't currently work because I can't figure them out and haven't had the time to continue figuring it out lately. I understand the concepts of modular programming, as well as databases and maps because I work with them daily but trying to learn something new where the documentation is poor isn't easy.

Just a shame only Americans (and perhaps Canadians) are allowed to buy it direct from Apple. I wish companies would do more worldwide selling. Anyway I've gone on eBay and put in a bid for SLS. Might end up buying a copy on there if my bid isn't successful.

Digital music is the one that really gets me. Sometimes I think it's no wonder people ilegally download music when they are not allowed to purchase it but it is available for sale in another country. I even contacted a record lable over here because I wished to buy something that had only been available as a limited CD worldwide but now was only available as an mp3 download in America. The stupid thing was that this was part 1 of a 3 CD series and both CD 2 and 3 were available to legally download as mp3 here!

The record company forwarded my e-mail onto the UK record company and I never heard back. I followed it up and nothing. Clearly they don't want our money? I have not got around to illegally downloading the recordings but it did cross my mind to do so.

Last edited:

Rycho

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
First, a big thanks to MichaelLAX, the OP, for a very user-friendly guide and for the tireless and on-going support for this thread.

I admit to not reading all 21 pages. But having carefully followed page 1 and the Mountain Lion (ML) link for extended part of Step One, I have successfully got Snow Leopard in Parallels 8 on ML with software updates all loaded as normal. <grin>

I note that the guide results in a Parallels boot opportunity to run from the install disc. Since this was originally from my desktop, if I shift SuperDrive-Server.cdr from my Mac's desktop to another location, is there anything I need to do in Parallels to accommodate the move?

Last edited:

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
...I note that the guide results in a Parallels boot opportunity to run from the install disc. Since this was originally from my desktop, if I shift SuperDrive-Server.cdr from my Mac's desktop to another location, is there anything I need to do in Parallels to accommodate the move?

You're welcome!

I am confused by your suggestion to boot from the install disc. Once installed, Parallels just boots from its virtual HD and the SuperDrive-Server.cdr can be deleted.

Did I misunderstand your question?

Rycho

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
You're welcome!

I am confused by your suggestion to boot from the install disc. Once installed, Parallels just boots from its virtual HD and the SuperDrive-Server.cdr can be deleted.

Did I misunderstand your question?

Step Two #7 states "...check Select Boot Device on Startup..." which results in a screen at startup calling to press any key for boot options. If I do press a key I am presented with a choice of install DVD or Macintosh HD.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
If you are finished with all steps and have full installation, you are OK.

That screen is for troubleshooting, if needed later.

Otherwise you should always start from the Macintosh HD.

What PowerPC apps do you use?

Rycho

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
Actually I have a version of a popular accounting package that won't run on Mtn Lion but will on SL/Lion and I had SL install disc handy. Plus it's fun learning workarounds :)

daniag

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2013
Hi there,

New to the forums today. While I have used Macs on and off through the years for work purposes, I haven't really kept up on things. My primary work computer is an old eMac that has reached its peak in terms of what software can be upgraded. Still it has served its purpose thus far. Today, I was given a brand new (purchased in 2012) Mac laptop (sorry, posting this from home so I don't have the specifics) and I was asked to transfer stuff from the eMac to the laptop and start using that instead as my primary work station. I was also advised that the laptop had not been used for anything as yet because "things don't work." What things? Well, essentially the things that led me to this thread to begin with. "PowerPC Applications No Longer Supported"

I only took a cursory glance at the laptop because I had other things to deal with today, but clearly the MS office suite that was transferred (a paid professional did all the transfer work) from an older laptop to the new one doesn't work. Multiledger, a very old version that we've been using for eons won't open either. I know there are some other things, but I can't remember offhand.

I guess my question is this... what is the best route to go to solve the problem when I'm the most tech savvy of the three people who would be using this laptop and I had to google the difference between Snow Leopard Client and Snow Leopard Server.

I have some limited experience with Linux (Ubuntu), I can understand the concepts and I'm a fast learner, and I can fumble and stumble my way through with explicit directions to follow. The other two people would simply not have a clue and I don't plan to be there very long to be able to maintain things even if I got things set up and working. In short, whatever "fix" occurs would have to be something very user friendly for the non-computer geek.

I am guessing that rather than installing Parallels and what would be an overkill (and probably very confusing to use) Snow Leopard Server, it might make the most sense to obtain a compatible MS Office suite (or can it be auto-updated even though it won't open?) to regain Word/Excel in particular. MS Office Home and Student 2011 (don't need Outlook) would be around $140 I think. Would need a functioning Multiledger program as well, ($399 for the program and $35 for the manual??) and I'm not sure what else would be needed as yet.

Costwise you can see why the purchase price of Snow Leopard Server of $19.99+ and Parallels seems more appealing.

What say you folks who know more than I about what is entailed in this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance for your educated responses.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Here are the best alternatives for running PowerPC software on a Modern Mac with Lion or Mt. Lion:

1. Best Solution: an upgrade is available that will run 100% of the functions of the older software at a reasonable cost to upgrade.

Probably the best example of this situation is to upgrade to Office 2011 for the Student price you mentioned (and it may even be a 3-user pack as well). Office 2011 seems to have complete functionality from the older 2004 version and is file compatible (or importable) as well.

2. Next best solution: an upgrade is available that will run most of the functions of the older software at a reasonable cost to upgrade.

This seems to be the Final Cut Pro X situation. Initially some users of the older versions were not happy with some limited functionality of the upgraded version. However Apple seems to have addressed this situation with further updates of version FCP X.

3. Next: software alternatives that can open existing data files, modify them and save the modifications.

An example of this is the alternatives available for Appleworks text files, as there is no upgrade available for Appleworks. Its graphic files are more complicated though; and no other program will open Appleworks database files; requiring an export from Appleworks and an import into a completely newly built database in another program such as Filemaker.

4. Lastly, no available upgrades or alternatives and/or just needing access to original PowerPC applications.

This is where Snow Leopard Server installed into Parallels 8 comes in. This solution can run concurrently with Lion or Mt. Lion and other than the initial cost of SLS (about $25) and Parallels 8 (retail $79; cheaper if one shops the internet), you can continue to operate ALL of your existing PowerPC software with no upgrades required.

Of course, you can have a mix of all the foregoing options and from your situation it sounds like your solution will be a mix. Plus this availability gives you time to deal with the financial aspects of upgrading software.

My advice is to use Snow Leopard Server and not Snow Leopard Client, as SLS is MUCH easier to install into Parallels (as Parallels itself provides installation instructions for it).

Last edited:

Praktiker

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2013
No Sound

Hi Michael.
Thank you for your support, bringing SL to Mountain Lion.
I am using the newest version of Parallels and I installed SL 10.6.0 (the DVD I had) and followed your instructions precisely.
SL runs ok, but I have no sound. I found a reply from someone who had the same problem but he never answered to your question what he had done.
Any ideas?
regards Praktiker.

P.S.: Need Rosetta for some games my son wants to play.
I tried your instructions on two Macs, my old 2008 20" version and my new 27" newest iMac. Same problem with the sound. btw. had the spotlight issue as well, but it is fixed with the terminal command entered..

Praktiker

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2013
No sound

Hi Michael,
yes, I followed your instructions precisely (I think)...:)
I have the newest version of Parallels 8 installed, btw.
regards Praktiker.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Lack of audio is usually a Parallels Tools problem.

Try uninstalling Parallels Tools and reinstalling it.

Did you have version 7 previously?

Can you point me to the post which previously had this same audio problem?

paikinho

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2009
Can't Get SLS install to happen????? Very Strange.

I got my SLS disc from Apple Yesterday and wasted most of the night trying to figure out how to get parallels to install it. COMPLETE FAILURE!

I tried the DVD drive plugged into my ML machine, I tried mounting the DVD remotely and installing from my Snow Leopard Machine upstairs, I tried making .cdr images from ML and from SL using my SLS disk. I tried making .dmg images from ML and SL using the SLS disk. I made a SLS bootable partition on an old iomega USB drive, but can't figure out how to make parallels access this bootable partition.

I have a new iMac with Mountain Lion. There is no internal DVD so I hooked up an old Toshiba DVD reader from an old Sony Vaio. The SLS install disc shows up in my startup items so it is bootable. When I first insert the disk the installation screen comes up under mountain lion. I can't get the install window to come up under parallels using either disks or images. Please help. I am at an impasse and have wasted about 6-7 hours on it already.

I am running the latest upgraded Parallels 7. My 2 XP partitions work just fine.

What I am doing:
Insert SLS disc into an old DVD drive hooked to a USB port.
Fire up Parallels
goto-->Install Windows or another OS from DVD or image file-->Continue
Choose the Toshiba DVD-ROM drive-->Continue
Name: OSX Snow Leopard Server
Location /Users/***/Documents/Parallels-->Continue
"VM Machine Creation" window comes up with a spinnie thingy but then hangs for about 20-30 seconds.

The following message appears:

Unable to connect to CD/DVD 1.
A file or device required for the operation of CD/DVD 1 does not exist or is used by another process, or you have no permission to access it. The virtual machine will continue running, but the device will be disconnected.

--------------
Then the VM is not a VM because there is not OS installed. OSX Snow leopard VM is allocated without an OS.

Does anyone know what could be hanging my install up. I am kind of dead in the water now.
1. Why won't parallels recognize the DVD drive on ML or SL.

2. Why won't parallels proceed with the install from a bootable image

3. Is there a way to have parallels recognize the iomega USB drive with bootable SLS partition.

Side note
Another curious thing that has happened is that I can't boot my old lion partition from my mini-stack. The partition says it is bootable and shows up in Startup disks. It is hooked up via USB since the firewire port is no longer on the new iMac. I used to boot my mini via firewire using the ministack.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

paikinho

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2009
Tried my Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server but got an error again

Unable to perform the action because the virtual machine is busy.

The virtual machine is currently running. Please try again later.

[support information]
problem ID: 38104
---------------------
When I click the problem it pulls up the parallels website where the following is printed:

ERROR: Unable to perform the action because the virtual machine is busy
Article ID: 10108
Created On: Jul 14, 2011
Last Review: May 10, 2012
Views:
Was this article helpful?
No Yes
APPLIES TO:

Parallels Desktop

Symptoms
You get the following error when trying to perform some action with your virtual machine:

Unable to perform the action because the virtual machine is busy.
Cause
Another operation on this virtual machine is currently is progress.
Resolution
Wait until the previous operation completes and rerun the action.

-----------------
There should be no process at all. The only process i am doing is trying to install the new VM.
The only Parallels item running as far as I can tell from the activity monitor is the program itself.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
installing SLS into Parallels

I am not sure why you are having such problems. I installed SLS into Parallels 7 on my 2011 Mac Mini with an external Buffalo CD/DVD drive and it installed like a hot knife through butter! Of course the point where Snow Leopard is installing takes about an hour...

What version of OS X is running on your Mac? What Mac?

You may have to deal more directly with Parallels support for this problem.

Can you try a different external DVD drive? If you have another Mac, you can connect to its drive remotely.

paikinho

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2009
I spent another bunch of hours on it today.
I think something must be wrong with the DVD drive I am using or something could be wonky with my parallels install??

At this point I am bleary eyed and confused.

What I find odd is that I can make a bootable .cdr but Parallels won't work with those images either. It mounts fine under ML on the iMac and fine under SL on the mac mini. Not sure why parallels is not picking up the .CDR or .dmg files.

Anyhow I am confused as of now and tired.

Maybe my parallels installation got hosed in the upgrade? Recently, I went from a mac mini running lion and I got a new iMac with mountain lion.
Since I don't have a firewire connector I can't boot my external miniStack with lion like I used to check if that install of parallels is working. (I have it hooked up via USB.) I thought I could boot from USB, but apparently USB won't boot even though the Lion install shows up in startup disks.

To me it makes zero sense why this is so difficult.
I will try and get another DVD drive and see if that helps. The one on my mini gave out about 9 months ago so I can't use that one.
I think that you may be right in that I will have to look to Parallels support for this problem if another DVD drive fails to work.

paikinho

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2009
Just Achieved and Install

I remembered I had an old ppc mac in a bin in the basement. I yanked it out. Sure enough... DVD drive. I enabled sharing.
I rebooted finder on my ML iMac and the DVD drive showed up.

I ran through the usual Parallels new install and it went to installing.
Don't know what was up with the Toshiba DVD exactly, but now I am able to get a nice SLS install in Parallels. Glad it wasn't my parallels install that was wonky.

As you said... it looks like it might take a bit to finish installing, but it will be nice to run all of my old stuff and transfer the stuff off of the mini upstairs so I can install a clean install of Mountain Lion on it for my wife.
Thanks for everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.