Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mathboy3

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2010
Here is my vSL running in Parallels 7 in Lion; I am not sure what more I can tell you about Spotlight. I am going to think about your problem and see what other workaround might work for you.

[click on image to enlarge]

Is there a possibility that I didn't install correctly?

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Did you follow all four installations steps completely?

What version of Snow Leopard is installed: In the Apple Menu do a About this Mac and tell me all it says.

Also incomplete installation should not effect Spotlight's performance in Mountain Lion.

Refresh my memory: you originally operated Spotlight on which Mac in which operating system?

It looks like you are on the East Coast: launch Messages and setup a screen name. Maybe over the weekend we can do a scheduled video chat and I can look at your Desktop.

karendesign

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
Love running GoLive CS2 under vSL, but mouse pointer disappears inside documents. Makes it difficult to position cursor, not to mention select, move, etc. Enlarging display resolution, or document itself, doesn't solve problem.

I saw a Eudora user had a similar issue, but can't tell whether there's any relationship to mine. The cursor seems to work fine in other apps (browser, etc.). Any thoughts on where to begin troubleshooting?

Thanks,
Karen

----------

Try to compress the alias first (Option-Click), copy the zipped version of the alias over to vSL and then double-click on it in vSL to uncompress it and see it the uncompressed alias now works.

That worked! From vSL, log in to ML HD through IP, option-click alias and compress from contextual menu, then drag to vSL desktop and expand. (Option-click in ML didn't bring up the contextual menu.)

mathboy3

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2010
Did you follow all four installations steps completely?

What version of Snow Leopard is installed: In the Apple Menu do a About this Mac and tell me all it says.

Also incomplete installation should not effect Spotlight's performance in Mountain Lion.

Refresh my memory: you originally operated Spotlight on which Mac in which operating system?

It looks like you are on the East Coast: launch Messages and setup a screen name. Maybe over the weekend we can do a scheduled video chat and I can look at your Desktop.

Snow Leopard is 10.6
I haven't done step 4 for the updates.
In Mountain Lion, everything works as it should.
It is only within the Virtual Machine in Parallels (Snow leopard) that there are issues. My Windows 7 Virtual Machine works fine.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Snow Leopard is 10.6
I haven't done step 4 for the updates.
In Mountain Lion, everything works as it should.
It is only within the Virtual Machine in Parallels (Snow leopard) that there are issues. My Windows 7 Virtual Machine works fine.

It looks like you did not do STEP THREE for the Snow Leopard update either.

Complete EVERYTHING in all FOUR STEPS, get Snow Leopard up to 10.6.8 and DO THE BACKUP suggested in STEP FOUR.

Then report back...

For example if I raise e to the i power, it would not be equal to "1" until I completed ALL OF THE STEPS and raised it to Pi; correct?

You would not tolerate one of your students not completing all of the steps, either...

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
That worked! From vSL, log in to ML HD through IP, option-click alias and compress from contextual menu, then drag to vSL desktop and expand. (Option-click in ML didn't bring up the contextual menu.)

Glad that worked!

Love running GoLive CS2 under vSL, but mouse pointer disappears inside documents. Makes it difficult to position cursor, not to mention select, move, etc. Enlarging display resolution, or document itself, doesn't solve problem.

I saw a Eudora user had a similar issue, but can't tell whether there's any relationship to mine. The cursor seems to work fine in other apps (browser, etc.). Any thoughts on where to begin troubleshooting?

Thanks,
Karen

Did you install any of the other CS2 components into vSL and if you did, does the mouse disappear in those programs?

When you installed GoLive into vSL were there any anomalies during installation? Maybe you should try an "uninstall" and reinstall GoLive.

mathboy3

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2010
It looks like you did not do STEP THREE for the Snow Leopard update either.

Complete EVERYTHING in all FOUR STEPS, get Snow Leopard up to 10.6.8 and DO THE BACKUP suggested in STEP FOUR.

Then report back...

For example if I raise e to the i power, it would not be equal to "1" until I completed ALL OF THE STEPS and raised it to Pi; correct?

You would not tolerate one of your students not completing all of the steps, either...

I had done the installation of Parallel Tools...just nothing after that.
I will finish all of steps 3 and 4 and get back to you.

mathboy3

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2010
Okay...I've finished the steps....am up to 10.6.8.
Still no Spotlight.

After searching the internet, I think I found out how to fix it. The basic way of rebuilding the Spotlight index did not work....in System Preferences. I opened Terminal and used to code

sudo mdutil -i on "/Volumes/Macintosh HD"

It is rebuilding now. Thanks for trying to help.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
OK: any port in a Snow Leopard storm!

And thanks for posting the Spotlight fix, in case it ever pops up again...

Keep up the good work with our next generation of students! :)

mathboy3

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2010
OK: any port in a Snow Leopard storm!

And thanks for posting the Spotlight fix, in case it ever pops up again...

Keep up the good work with our next generation of students! :)

Do you know if this same process (installing Snow Leopard in a virtual machine environment) works with VMWare Fusion as well?

gilby101

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Do you know if this same process (installing Snow Leopard in a virtual machine environment) works with VMWare Fusion as well?

Yes - VMware Fusion is what I use. Just follow all the steps with a few obvious changes for VMware rather than Parallels.

For SL client, I don't think there are any advantages to either VMware or Parallels - just use whatever you are most comfortable with.

mathboy3

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2010
Yes - VMware Fusion is what I use. Just follow all the steps with a few obvious changes for VMware rather than Parallels.

For SL client, I don't think there are any advantages to either VMware or Parallels - just use whatever you are most comfortable with.

Can I just use the Install file that I created for Parallels and start at step 2?

gilby101

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Can I just use the Install file that I created for Parallels and start at step 2?

Yes. Just make sure you don't miss anything from there on. I assume you are familiar with VMware Fusion and can translate Parallels tasks into equivalent VMware ones.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
BIG NEWS! Apple is selling Snow Leopard Server for $19.99!

I just ordered my copy of Snow Leopard Server from Apple for $19.99 + tax and shipping: 1.800.MYAPPLE (1.800.692.7753)

My work here my finally be over... :)

tonimoni

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2013
keep getting "illegal option"

Hi

i am on Lion 10.7.5 and have Parallels Desktop 70.15107.

I have the following problem when doing step Two:

When inserting the code in terminal the first one that is starting with mkdir i do get something starting with : "illegal option" ...

Whats the problem?

Thanks for helping me.

UPDATE: I have solved the problem. The entry in the terminal was not quite correct.
NEVERMIND

Thanks anyway for the whole explanation!

Last edited:

karendesign

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
I just ordered my copy of Snow Leopard Server from Apple for $19.99 + tax and shipping: 1.800.MYAPPLE (1.800.692.7753)

My work here my finally be over... :)

Fabulous news! Can't wait to order mine and be multiply-compliant! And you may finally get a rest :)

--Karen

karendesign

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
Re: Cursor problems in GoLive--seems to be worst inside table cells. Because GoLive didn't have the keenest CSS capabilities (and I didn't know so much about them), much of my work therein relies on tables. Not just traditional built tables, but GoLive's grid function that can convert to tables. Seems as though I may have to either convert everything or come up with a CSS approach that it can support accurately for future editions. That's a good option, provided GoLive does recognize whatever I do (it is notorious for not rendering certain characters and other oddities--thankfully none serious enough to diminish its other capabilities).

I reinstalled Parallels Tools; cursor is perhaps a bit better now.

No, I didn't install any other CS2 components but that would be a good test and I will do so shortly.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
What is CSS?

Ah: seems to be cascading style sheets in Dreamweaver...

Last edited:

mattg293

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2013
Thoughts?

First off, let me just say thank you for putting this how-to guide together and for answering all of these questions. This has been a wealth of knowledge. I wanted to run something by you, since you definitely seem to be in the know.

When running Snow Leopard or Snow Leopard Server in a virtual environment, such as Parallels 8, is the virtual OS capable of utilizing the full hardware spec of the machine?

For example, if I'm working on a 2.3GHz Quad-core with 8GB of ram, does Snow Leopard (Server) us the full processor and ram, or is it limited. If so, by how much?

Much obliged, and thank you in advance!

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
...if I'm working on a 2.3GHz Quad-core with 8GB of ram, does Snow Leopard (Server) us(e) the full processor and ram, or is it limited. If so, by how much?

Much obliged, and thank you in advance!

Thank you for your kind words!

I do not know for sure. One example of hardware that it does not emulate is a Firewire port.

I suspect that Parallels 8 can access the full processor and as much RAM as you set it for in its preferences. I upgraded my 2011 Mac Mini to 8GB and allocated 2GB to Parallels and it runs Snow Leopard much more smoothly than does my 2009 MBP with only 4GB of RAM.

Your best bet is to go to the Parallels support forum and ask your question there (and be sure to only ask it with regard to Snow Leopard Server, which should be functionally the same for this issue). They have good support staff and are generally quick to reply.

AND then come back and let us all know the answer!

What PowerPC programs do you want to run in vSL?

Good luck!

mattg293

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2013
Thank you for your kind words!

I do not know for sure. One example of hardware that it does not emulate is a Firewire port.

I suspect that Parallels 8 can access the full processor and as much RAM as you set it for in its preferences. I upgraded my 2011 Mac Mini to 8GB and allocated 2GB to Parallels and it runs Snow Leopard much more smoothly than does my 2009 MBP with only 4GB of RAM.

Your best bet is to go to the Parallels support forum and ask your question there (and be sure to only ask it with regard to Snow Leopard Server, which should be functionally the same for this issue). They have good support staff and are generally quick to reply.

AND then come back and let us all know the answer!

What PowerPC programs do you want to run in vSL?

Good luck!

I was able to do some digging on the Parallels site to this info about RAM and Processor allocation.

http://kb.parallels.com/en/113649

It looks like you are able to allocate whatever you'd like (or whatever SL can handle which is something like 16TB). The only thing to consider would be making sure you don't cripple your native OS since vSL is running on top of it.
They recommend leaving at least 50% for your native OS.

As for which program I intend to use, it is Pro Tools 8 LE. I'm not sure it is considered a PPC program, but long story short, Snow Leopard is what I need to run it on a Retina MBP. So, here I am.

If I am to understand correctly, this epic hack that you have concocted here is not necessary with the use of Snow Leopard Server (which is now retailing at $19.99 as of very recently), is that correct? Parallels will simply accept the installation of SLS?

Thanks again!

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
I was able to do some digging on the Parallels site to this info about RAM and Processor allocation.

http://kb.parallels.com/en/113649

That article was written for Parallels 7. You need to check if there were any relevant changes in Parallels 8.

mattg293 said:
If I am to understand correctly, this epic hack that you have concocted here is not necessary with the use of Snow Leopard Server (which is now retailing at $19.99 as of very recently), is that correct? Parallels will simply accept the installation of SLS?

Thanks again!
YES!!! "Happy days are here again..."

It has taken quite some time to get Apple to be reasonable about the virtualization of Snow Leopard (in spite of the fact that the Snow Leopard EULA does not prohibit its virtualization in Lion or Mt. Lion on a Mac).

I believe that my efforts to help everyday users be able to virtualize Snow Leopard in Parallels (and others who extended this information to VMWare Fusion) finally convinced Apple to let down the barriers, and they chose to do so with this 95% reduction in price of Snow Leopard Server.

My next project will be to develop instructions on how to "remove" the Server functions of Snow Leopard Server, so that it will be able to operate without the overhead needed by the "server" functionality and "look and feel" just like Snow Leopard client. I am waiting for my copy of SLS to arrive this week :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.