Installing Snow Leopard - Basic help needed (I'm very new to this!)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iFanboy, Aug 29, 2009.

1. iFanboy Guest

Brief summary - I got my first Mac in February. I've learned how to use a great deal of it since then, but obviously i've never needed to install the operating system on it or do anything past simply use OSX before, so i'm flying blind a bit here.

I have my legally purchased £25 Snow Leopard DVD and I want to do a full clean install.

From what i've read I need to go to "disk utilities" and erase the drive, and then proceed with the Snow Leopard installation?

Assuming i'm right (BIG "if" on that one!) i'm guessing this can't be done from within OSX as after the erase OSX will no longer be there? So i'm guessing I need to insert the Snow Leopard DVD and restart? Will the DVD boot automatically or will I need to hold down the option key (The alt key iirc?)?

Then, will there be a "disk utilities" option somewhere so I can erase the drive?

As you can tell, this is basic stuff here which is automatic to you guys but may as well be Russian to me, so any and all help very much appreciated! :eek:

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

FIrst up, back all your files up on another drive. iTunes, iLife folders, any documents etc. Export bookmarks, contacts if you use firefox might be worthwhile looking at Xmarks to save that hassle (of password and bookmark transfer).

Once you've backed up, then pop the disc in, click on the install button, then up at the top are the utilities right at the top of your mac's screen. go into disk utility, then erase the drive. once that's done, then just do the install as normal

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Boot up from the Sl DVD- Hold down the C key as it boots.

Erase drive through Disk Utility.

Proceed with installation.

4. iFanboy thread starter Guest

Excellent! Thanks for the help!

One last question though, why do I hold down the "c" key. Is there different keys to hold down when you restart depending on what you want to do? If so, where is the best place to find that list?

I ask because I want to learn about what i'm doing rather than just try to remember things I don't understand the reasons for. Hopefully that will make me a more proficient mac user in time :apple:

5. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

By default, your mac first looks for a bootable OS on your hard drive. Holding the "C" key tells it to check the CD drive first.

6. amoergosum macrumors 6502

But what's the difference between starting up your mac, inserting the SL dvd,
    erasing the hd with disk utility, installing SL and -
    the way you recommended it?

7. iFanboy thread starter Guest

Excellent! Thanks guys! Very much appreciated! :)