Installing Snow Leopard Fresh or Upgrading?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by swishyfresh, Sep 5, 2009.

1. swishyfresh macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Just got my Snow Leopard disk... awesomely excited!

Never done this before so need to ask... what's the best way of going about the upgrade?

I currently have Leopard installed with Time Machine external HD running for backups.

Should I stick the disk in and upgrade? then restore from Time Machine?

Should I do a clean install, formatting first then installing, then restoring from Time Machine?

Or what?

I'd appreciate some direction. Just need to break the newb barrier :)

Thank you!

2. rfrankl macrumors 6502

I would search the forum. You will find a few threads with every possible answer you can think of.

3. swishyfresh thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry, I might be being a super newb but I did before posting and couldn't find anything? :confused: ... I was kind of surprised.

4. ukuleleman macrumors member

Snow leopard

I have a Mac Pro, I just stuck the disc in and followed the instructions, no problems, it took about 40 minutes I think, which was longer than I expected, but I believe it installs the whole system over the existing Leopard system. so far I have found a couple of minor changes in my setup but they are so minor as to be of no consequence.

By the way,don't look for amazing changes, you won't find them, it's a bit quicker in parts but for a Joe average user like me all the techie stuff about 64 bit and servers etc is just so much pie in the sky, particularly if they make changes that you can't see, and I can't see 'em.

5. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Yep that's what I did, stuck the disk in and clicked 'install' *, 50 minutes or so later, up and running. Then it installed 'rosetta' (IIRC) which was needed to run an old app I use.

Haven't really noticed any differences so far, programs launch slightly quicker, thats about it. One thing, if you use Amazons S3 service with Jungle Disk, that stopped working, there is a known bug with SL, an upgrade to the latest version of Jungle Disk fixed that.

* I previously did a full clone of the Mac HD to an external, then switched that off for the upgrade, just to be ultra paranoid.