Installing Snow Leopard MacBook Pro 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PinheadMercs, Feb 18, 2014.

1. PinheadMercs macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I am relying on your words of wisdom here.....

I have a MacBook Pro 17-inch, Mid 2010, MacBookPro6,1. It came with Snow Leopard 10.6.4.

I upgraded to OS X 10.8.2 (12C60), (cannot upgrade any further, due to faulty USB port, and i am using AKE 3.0 PCIExpress 3/4. 10.8.5 and Maverick doesn't seem to support this anymore)

I would now like go back to Snow Leopard. After getting my trustee Disc's out i have found them to be faulty.

I have copies of 10.6.0, 10.6.3 and 10.6.7. The first two will not boot due to being earlier editions, but the later, although booting, will not install.

My question, Surely between the three disc's and the combo 10.6.4 update, I should be-able to create a working Snow Leopard for my Mac.

I have read things like "install onto USB and update with the combo, then restore to the Mac" - please excuse my nativity, but if i could 'install' the software to a USB, then surly i could install to the mac itself?

As a side note.... My nephew has a Macbook Pro 15 pre 2010 (2009 I think) that is fully updated to 10.6.8, Could i back that up and restore it to my mac ?

Any words of wisdom will be welcome

2. thetman macrumors member

Heres what I did recently with an old Macbook that had a bad DVD and wouldnt boot from USB for me.

I pulled the hard drive out of the machine, hooked it up to my other Mac via usb. Used disk utility to partition 16GB seperately. Then restored the Snow Leopard disk image (.dmg) to the 16GB partition. Put the drive back in the Macbook and held option while booting to select the 16GB "install" partition.
    Worked great and can be deleted after everything is installed although I left it on as a recovery partition.

You could do it all without pulling the drive if you can get a good disc image of Snow Leopard onto your MBP.