installing snow leopard on 2011 mba

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dave12345, Jul 20, 2011.

1. dave12345 macrumors regular

will I be able to use a snow leopard usb install stick from a 2010 mba to install snow leopard on 2011 mba ?

cheers

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

No. The new MBA needs different drivers for the Thunderbolt and GPU. The old version won't have the drivers. Usually you cannot install a version prior to one that a model ships with.

3. Oldandintheway macrumors member

4. harleymhs macrumors 6502

Wow, I was hoping to install SNOW LEOPARD on a new 11" air on Thrus.. Glad I didnt try it and wipe out the NEW OS... I have a new 11" Ultimate and really wanted to exchange mine for the new air but not being able to go to SL will maybe change my mind.. Hmm Lighted keyboard and i5 or SL and NO lighted keyboard.. Hmmmm

5. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

Same here... I wanted the new Air, but not after trying Lion. If I could put snow leopard on it I would go buy it now.

6. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I love Lion. It runs perfectly smooth, and the full screen apps and swipe features are ideal for the smaller screen.

I know some people had issues with Lion after upgrading, but since the new Airs came with Lion preinstalled it is clear it works as expected.

Plus, in the coming few updates, Lion will be updated to iron out the kinks (10.7.2 and onward), so it will only get better from now on.

If you need a laptop and you want an Air, by all means I think the 2011 versions are great.

If you want to save a few bucks and you don't need the extra processing power, then get in on a refurbished model of the 2010 one and save a couple hundred bucks.

7. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Not only are the full screen apps with left-right swipe to switch among them nice, but the double tap to zoom in and out is great with the small hi-rez screens under Lion. :cool:

-howard