Installing Snow Leopard on new imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kjacks52, Jul 26, 2011.

1. kjacks52 macrumors member

just got a new i7 imac to use as a video editing machine. I know the adobe apps have a lot of issues at the moment so I'm trying to get snow leopard on the machine. Every time I try and boot to the SL disc, I get a Kernal panic. I did it from another machine via target disk mode and kernal panic on startup. It seems it should work as these same models shipped with snow leopard just a couple weeks ago. Anyone know a trick to get it to work?

2. Squicken macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Maybe theres something wrong with the disk.

3. kjacks52 thread starter macrumors member

don't think so. it works with any other machine.

4. andydckent macrumors member

Maybe something to do with being in 64 bit mode? Try booting in 32 bit?:confused:

5. Dresevski macrumors 6502

Which disc? Your iMac disc shouldn't work with any other machine and vice versa. Do you know anyone with a retail copy of SL? I always clean install SL from a USB drive.

6. kjacks52 thread starter macrumors member

The iMac doesn't come with a disc as it came with Lion preinstalled.

I've got a retail snow leopard disc version 10.6.0

Right now I've just installed snow leopard to a macbook with that disc and then updating it to the latest version, then I'm going to try and clone that to the imac.

7. Dresevski macrumors 6502

Huh, I thought the iMacs came with a SL disc and then you had to update to 10.6.8 then install Lion over the top from the Mac App Store. Weird, this whole deal is pretty confusing. Also a little upsetting that the iMacs don't have the internet install (or whatever) that the MBA and mini have.

8. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Since the machine shipping with Lion, it may not be able to run SL.

9. kjacks52 thread starter macrumors member

i got it working by cloning a copy of 10.6.8.

it didn't like 10.6.0 at all.

10. CharpoV macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problem. How did you clone 10.6.8?

MC

11. BigDukeSix, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

I was wondering the same thing. I am getting a new iMac with Lion, my old iMac has SL. And, of course, Quicken does not work with Lion. I was thinking of loading SL on my new iMac so I would not have to reconstruct my entire Quicken file in another financial program that runs on Lion.

Or, would this option work? Clone my current SL drive to an external (which I need to do anyway to back up), then connect HD to my new computer and chose the eternal as my startup disc, so my computer will start in SL?

Thx in advance.