Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gamerw00t

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
Will we have to Install it like it's a new operating system, or just upgrade it over top of Leopard?
Would we have to back up all of our files and settings, or will it keep them?

What about for Tiger?

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
California
well if you're going from leopard, I believe that you can upgrade or do a full install over leopard, which in case will delete everything
but if you upgrade i think that you will get your old stuff back. *same username,short name,files,etc...* if any experts are there please correct me if i'm wrong

kryptonianjorel

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2009
Excuse my ignorance, I'm newish to Mac OS, but I know that the $29 copy of Snow Leopard is ONLY an upgrade, and not a full retail copy (you have to buy the box set for that) So, anybody who used an up-to-date program to get leopard (aka, was an upgrade copy), were you able to do a clean install as long as tiger was on your machine?

I'd really like to know this too as I'll be using the up-to-date program, and would like to do a clean install

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Yea, I'm guessing the SL installer will just quickly check if your HD has Leopard on it, and then let you proceed to wipe the disk and start fresh. Hopefully because I just want to wipe my disk (backed up of course) and start fresh without any Leopard remnants.

dmbfan41

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
any information on the cost of the full install. i am not interested in an upgrade at all, they suck.

AMessy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
any information on the cost of the full install. i am not interested in an upgrade at all, they suck.

I've been keeping an eye out for the full install non upgrade version of Snow Leopard but haven't seen anything on it yet.

My parents will be upgrading from Tiger so i've been trying to get them a price for the required version of Snow Leopard.

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
Excuse my ignorance, I'm newish to Mac OS, but I know that the $29 copy of Snow Leopard is ONLY an upgrade, and not a full retail copy (you have to buy the box set for that) So, anybody who used an up-to-date program to get leopard (aka, was an upgrade copy), were you able to do a clean install as long as tiger was on your machine?

I'd really like to know this too as I'll be using the up-to-date program, and would like to do a clean install

In my experience, the disks for the upgrade version and the real version are almost exactly the same. I used an upgrade Leopard disk which was from a computer that had Tiger on it but was purchased after Leopard was released, and the disk just checked to make sure the computer was running Tiger and then allowed me to do either an Upgrade, Erase and Install, or Archive and Install.

I've been keeping an eye out for the full install non upgrade version of Snow Leopard but haven't seen anything on it yet.

My parents will be upgrading from Tiger so i've been trying to get them a price for the required version of Snow Leopard.

And I'm pretty sure you're going to have to buy the Mac Box Set to do that as I'm pretty sure Apple is not releasing a non-upgrade Snow Leopard disc on its own.

AMessy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
And I'm pretty sure you're going to have to buy the Mac Box Set to do that as I'm pretty sure Apple is not releasing a non-upgrade Snow Leopard disc on its own.

Hmm, maybe i'll just have them purchase the retail version of leopard and the the snow leopard upgrade, should still be cheaper than the box set.

gamerw00t

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
So whats so good about the clean install as opposed to an upgrade version?

rich2k4

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2009
So whats so good about the clean install as opposed to an upgrade version?

i always like to do a clean install as i find it causes the least problems.

the bad thing about a clean install, is that your iLife software will be deleted, and you will have to install them again using the restore discs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.