Installing Snow Loepard from HD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mrrippey, Sep 30, 2009.

1. mrrippey macrumors regular

I replaced my Superdrive with an SSD and wanted to know if I can somehow install SL using an DVD image on my external drive. I currently do not have a caddy for my now displaced SuperDrive.

2. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

If you have anither mac (or even another computer) it is quite simple...

Another mac:
    Put 10.6 DVD in drive, load up Disk utility.
    Click "New image" witht he DVD selected and save the DMG.

Plug in an external drive/USB drive, go to disk utility and format it as HFS (Go to disk utility >Partions> 1 partiton).

After it is formated select the drive in diskutility then click the "restore" tab
    The source should be the DMG file created destination is the newly formatted usb drive.

Then boot up with the drive and you should be able to install.

If you don't have another mac you can pop the DVD in any computer and make an ISO image of it (use google) then send the ISO to the mac.. double click ISO to mount. Go in disk utility and click new image with the ISO mounted. Rest of the process is the same.

3. zwaldowski macrumors member

You can easily install SL from the hard drive by creating a partition after resizing your system partition in Disk Utility by "restoring" your DVD to that partition and holding Option while booting.

4. mrrippey thread starter macrumors regular

So if I get this right (using an external hdd) I can create a partition on that (say 8GB) then restore the SL image on to that partition then boot from the image on the USB to install SL on my SSD.

Is that correct? I intend on keeping SL on my internal HDD in case the SDD goes poof, I can still boot from that.

5. borcanm macrumors regular

^ You got the correct procedure. You can do this in fact with any form of mass storage device, such as USB Flash Drives, or an Ipod.

OSX Ipod instal

http://lifehacker.com/338574/install-leopard-with-your-ipod