installing software from restore disk to another machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Radioman, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Radioman macrumors regular

My main computer has blown up and I want to install iLife from the restore disk that came with the broken machine on a spare computer but when I try it says that it cannot be installed 'on this computer'. Is there a workaround for this?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

first of all it's against the EULA to do that.
    Second, the restore disks are machine specific.

3. Radioman thread starter macrumors regular

Well they are both my machines, so I don't see why it's a problem.

When you say 'machine specific' do you mean a specific model, or range of models?

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

processor and model specific. Apple doesn't give out details. Still against the EULA.

5. lcloon macrumors newbie

Hello there old-wiz, how can we differentiate which restore disks belongs to which batch or model of Mac? You mentioned that the disks are machine specific, so, even if I have 2 identical Mac model, I can cross use the disks?

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....this question has been asked and answered hundreds of times on the forums - why does it keep coming up?

The discs *will* work on the same make/model, but you are *not* licensed to use them. Having a disc does *not* entitle you to install wherever, whenever and however many times you please - when installing you have to click through a license agreement panel - take a moment and actually read it....oh yeah!

7. lcloon macrumors newbie

(^.^').... Thanks Duff-man, how about this question: how can we differentiate which restore disks belongs to which batch or model of Mac? Thanks.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

The moderators might consider giving an answer to this as helping piracy, which is not permitted here. I wouldn't give the info myself.

9. Radioman thread starter macrumors regular

The last time I bought a copy of iLife I got the family pack so I could install it on other family members' machines.

The guy in the Apple Store actually commented that he had hardly ever sold any of those as most people buy the normal version and install multiple copies!

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Just because other people break the EULA and install multiple copies of the normal version doesn't mean it's ethical to do so.

11. Radioman thread starter macrumors regular

Which is precisely why I bought a family pack... :rolleyes:

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

:apple: / About this Mac / More Info / Hardware / Model Identifier

Machine specific as to model identifier, since the disc also contains all the current OS updates needed to run on the machine.

Also is an easy way to lock the restore discs to specific machines.

---

As far as iLife, there is a way to browse the DVD without running it and extract single applications to install.