Installing software on external HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by snowandmusic, Jul 18, 2014.

1. snowandmusic, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014

snowandmusic macrumors newbie

Hi,

firstly apologies if this is a stupid question, or has been answered elsewhere, I've looked but I can't find an answer.

I need help please. I've run out of space on my main HD and want to use a 2nd HD to install some quite large software onto. I'm running Mavericks.

When I try to select the 2nd drive as an install destination the drive I want to use has a yellow triangle with a white exclamation mark in it, and the message:-

''SOFTWARE NAME'' can't be installed on this disk. You can only install this software on the disk than is running OSX'

The 2nd HD is actually a thunderbolt Pegasus Promise 8TB (in practice it seems to be seen in OSX as one drive of 6TB, raid 5, formatted as Mac OS Extended Journaled)

My question is how can I work around this? My internal HD is a SSD, so I cannot install everything I need on that due to capacity constraints. Do I need to install OSX on the external HD? Will I then need to boot from that HD for software to work?

Sorry if these are annoyingly stupid questions, I'm not that comfortable with how OSX handles such things.

Many thanks in advance!

S

2. simsaladimbamba

What applications are you talking about?

What file system does the RAID use?

3. snowandmusic thread starter macrumors newbie

It's music applications. In this case Komplete Ultimate 9, and a few other things. Komplete is pretty big, and I'm squeezed for space on my main SSD so I need to use the external HD if in any way possible. Thanks!

4. simsaladimbamba

I guess the application could fit on the SSD, but the samples would be better off on an HDD? Is there no option to just install the application onto the SSD and the samples somewhere else as is described in this help article?

How to Install the KOMPLETE 9 Libraries on an External Hard Drive (Mac)

5. snowandmusic thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for the suggestion, I've tried the approach outlined in the Komplete installation, unfortunately it won't let me select the drive. Weird...

I can write to the drive, no problem, and it looks fine in Finder, but Komplete and also Maschine don't like it. I'll try some non music software later and see what happens.

6. simsaladimbamba

Have you checked Finder > select external HDD >> GET INFO >>> Format and Sharing & Permissions yet?
    [​IMG]

7. snowandmusic thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, the format and permissions are fine, I have read and write access, and it's set up as Mac OS Extended Journaled.

I've managed to move 264gb of the installation (yes, 264gb :-0 ) to the external HD. I still can't get my head around why I can't set the whole install up on there. I even managed an experiment to install a fully functional Steam game there under bootcamp, so maybe it's a peculiarity of OSX?

8. simsaladimbamba

It may be a bug with your installation, since the software you want to install supports installing the libraries onto an external HDD.

Maybe OS X 10.9 Mavericks is preventing that now and Komplete is not yet fixed?

You could give NativeInstruments a call or email explaining your issue, or does buying that software no give you any kind of support from them?