Installing software restore due to mouse problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by boogiebruva, Sep 1, 2009.

1. boogiebruva macrumors newbie

Hi. I'm trying to mend an emac for a friend. The mouse is unresponsive. It works while in the Startup Manager but not after I start up the computer normally. As software seems to be the cause of the issue, I've followed these steps to fix the issue.
    1. Insert the Software Install and Restore disc into your CD/DVD drive.
    2. Shut down your computer by holding down the power button for a few seconds.
    3. Once it's off, hold down the C key on the keyboard and start up your computer. (You can let go of the C key when you see the big Apple logo on the screen.) This will start up the computer from the Software Install and Restore disc instead of your hard drive.

OK, now I'm on the License agreement screen but don't know how to select the Continue button using a keyboard shortcut. I've tried Ctrl-Space (which got me past the last screen) but now I'm given 4 options - Print, save, back and continue.
    How do I continue using a keyboard shortcut?
    Thanks in advance

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Why make things more complicated than they need to be? Just get another mouse and use it. Obviously something is wrong with the one you're trying to use.
    If that mouse has issues as well, try a different USB port.

3. boogiebruva thread starter macrumors newbie

according to the posts I've read, if the mouse works in the Startup manager, the problem is with the software, not the mouse. As I'm trying to mend the Mac for free for a friend, I'd rather try the software restore option.

4. boogiebruva thread starter macrumors newbie

so what are the keyboard shortcuts for doing the windows tab thing for choosing the button?
    Thanks

5. boogiebruva thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried the other usb ports and a different usb mouse but still no luck