Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diskdoctor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Ok This may sound really stupided.. but please forgive me I have only had my mac for 4 weeks...

when you install software to a mac some times it asks you to drag the icon to were you what it installed ie: Apps..

other software as i installer icon and you just click on it to install..

My Question is:- how do i find out where the software as installed all its componemts too?..

i could open all the folders on my computer but that would take a lot of time...

Also would uninstalling a program manualy give me errors on boot up?

And if there are hidden folders on my mac how can I see them?

Is there a app for mac to uninstall program and keep track of all its components when you install a program..

But my main problem is i have a full retail copy of ms office bought and paid for... But my mac came with a trail version... I installed my copy but each time i click on a work doc it opens the trail version not the full version..so i nead to get rid pf the trial version... I have reinstall my os once now and i would like not to have to do it again...

Please Help

Swarmlord

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Don't know the answer to your first question, but I would think that you'd want to uninstall the trial version of Office, reboot and then install the full version so that your file associations pointed to the correct place.

I wonder if OS-X has a feature that is like the package installer used in Redhat that would give you the information you need.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
For the majority of programs you can simply drag the file from the Applications folder into the trash, and you're all set. It might leave behind some 1kB preferences files, but these are fine to leave in place. If you really want to get everything, try a program called AppZapper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.