Installing SSD and new HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by firestarter1981, Apr 24, 2012.

1. firestarter1981 macrumors newbie

Hi All

My macbook pro has steadily gotten slower since I got in in 2010, Also me current HDD is almost full, 480GB out of 500GB used. I'm thinking of upgrading it with a 1TB HDD and 120GB SSD and also upping the RAM to 8GB from the 4GB that it's currently got.

I don't want to loose anything that's on here already so I'm wondering what the best way to do this would be, obviously the RAM is just a swap but I've read up on people putting in SSD's in the optical bay, running just the apps on there and using the HDD for storage.

Can I back up my mac to my time capsule, pull out the old HDD and fit the 2 new ones then restore from the back up? How do I tell it where I want things to be?

Thanks

2. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

First I recommend putting the HDD in the optibay and the SSD in the hard drive bay because its SATA III. That being said you can use a couple different programs to migrate your data, Carbon Copy is a good, and the one that I used, you also can always use migration assistant. Some SSDs even come with migration software that you can use if you want.

3. ramw5p macrumors member

I don't have an answer

but thats a question i have been wondering! I too am out of HDD space, so a new 750 or 1tb in in order soon [dont know brand to buy etc???]. I back up using time capsule, and i to have wondered how to put in a new hdd, and a ssd without going through the entire reinstall process? I know i can carbon clone the old hdd, that way i don't have to repartition and reinstall windows 7, but how do you do that, and get osx onto a ssd? Is there a way to carbon clone the old hdd into the new hdd, THEN put the operating system into a SSD???? Not trying to jump your thread, i think we have the same question.

4. firestarter1981 thread starter macrumors newbie

The thing I can't find a good answer on is, once I've put in the ssd and hdd if I then go to restore from a time machine back up how do I then tell it where I want what, ie, apps on the ssd and use the hdd for storage? As it will be trying to restore from nearly 500gb to a 120,gb ssd or does it just overflow onto the hdd?

Thanks

5. SneakyDiquey macrumors newbie

I want to know the answer to the same thing!