Installing SSD and new HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by firestarter1981, Apr 24, 2012.

1. firestarter1981 macrumors newbie

Apr 24, 2012
    Hi All

My macbook pro has steadily gotten slower since I got in in 2010, Also me current HDD is almost full, 480GB out of 500GB used. I'm thinking of upgrading it with a 1TB HDD and 120GB SSD and also upping the RAM to 8GB from the 4GB that it's currently got.

I don't want to loose anything that's on here already so I'm wondering what the best way to do this would be, obviously the RAM is just a swap but I've read up on people putting in SSD's in the optical bay, running just the apps on there and using the HDD for storage.

Can I back up my mac to my time capsule, pull out the old HDD and fit the 2 new ones then restore from the back up? How do I tell it where I want things to be?

2. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Feb 1, 2012
    New York
    First I recommend putting the HDD in the optibay and the SSD in the hard drive bay because its SATA III. That being said you can use a couple different programs to migrate your data, Carbon Copy is a good, and the one that I used, you also can always use migration assistant. Some SSDs even come with migration software that you can use if you want.
  3. ramw5p macrumors member

Sep 29, 2010
    I don't have an answer

but thats a question i have been wondering! I too am out of HDD space, so a new 750 or 1tb in in order soon [dont know brand to buy etc???]. I back up using time capsule, and i to have wondered how to put in a new hdd, and a ssd without going through the entire reinstall process? I know i can carbon clone the old hdd, that way i don't have to repartition and reinstall windows 7, but how do you do that, and get osx onto a ssd? Is there a way to carbon clone the old hdd into the new hdd, THEN put the operating system into a SSD???? Not trying to jump your thread, i think we have the same question.
  4. firestarter1981 thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 24, 2012
    The thing I can't find a good answer on is, once I've put in the ssd and hdd if I then go to restore from a time machine back up how do I then tell it where I want what, ie, apps on the ssd and use the hdd for storage? As it will be trying to restore from nearly 500gb to a 120,gb ssd or does it just overflow onto the hdd?

5. SneakyDiquey macrumors newbie

Apr 26, 2012
    I want to know the answer to the same thing!