Installing SSD and using HD from Macbook Pro as external drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nick.smith117, Sep 14, 2012.

1. nick.smith117, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

nick.smith117 macrumors newbie

New to the forum so bare with me.
    I am installing an intel 520 ssd 120gb in my macbook pro 2010 in about just a week. i am also upgrading ram to 8gb.

When i clean install snow leopard, i will re-download all my apps which include ilife, office and other basic apps, which i am fine with. I would like to use my hard drive once its out of my mac as an external drive.

The reason i want to do this is to use the ssd for apps, games and the OS to increase speeds and the hard drive for documents.

So my question is, how do i remove the OS and apps on my external drive without removing my documents which include music, photos, documents etc.
    Is what i am asking even possible? removing only the apps and OS system from the hard drive and keeping the files i want on it?

I read somewhere that i can break my hard drive into sections (partition it) and drag files the files i want into one section, and the OS and apps in the other, and wipe the section i don't want. Is this true?

If you find what i wrote confusing here is a similar question to mine:

http://9to5forums.com/discussion/1380/remove-mac-os-from-secondary-hard-drive

Thank you in advance!

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

3. nick.smith117 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the link, it helps. somewhat helps. under "files setup" the link tells me how to save files onto the hard drive after install the ssd "The easiest, but least beneficial way, is to move your whole home folder onto the secondary HDD drive."

Yes moving the home folder from the ssd to the hard drive will save any download to the external drive. i understand that,however it does not tell me how to keep the documents already on the hard drive on the hard drive and removing the OS and apps.

the link in my original post explains what i want to do if what i am saying doesnt make sense. Thanks what i want to do.

4. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

How about erasing the SSD and then restore the OS using a backup of you'r original hard drive from time machine. Then erase the HDD and move the folder over. Curious, are you planning on using your HDD in an external enclosure or caddy?

5. nick.smith117 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the post!

I want to use the HDD as an external enclosure not a caddy. The reason why i dont want to do what you stated is because i dont want to save the backup on the SSD as the back up might have issues from the HDD and i dont want that on the SSD. I would rather clean install the OS and apps on the SSD.

I think i will do what this link states: http://9to5forums.com/discussion/1380/remove-mac-os-from-secondary-hard-drive

buying an external drive and dragging the files i want to keep over to it, formatting the hard drive after, placing the files back onto the HDD which will be in an enclosed external case, and returning the external drive i bought.

Unless someone else has another idea.

6. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I was only suggesting the steps if you did have another drive you could use. You dont need to buy an external hard drive. If you currently have space on your hard drive, partition it and use it as a backup for time machine and then use the steps i mentioned.