Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hbornste

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2014
Hey Guys,

So I am installing an OWC SSD internal harddrive in my Mac Pro 5,1 and basically I want to move my entire old hard drive to this new one/make it my boot drive. everything. How do you recommend I do this I've heard multiple ways--migration assistant, bootable clone but I'm still a bit confused. Thanks!

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
What version of OS X are you on? If you're on one of the more recent versions that includes a recovery partition use Disk Utility to Restore your current disk onto the new disk.

hbornste

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2014
ok great I'm going to use carbon copy cloner. Is there any way to set it up such that the ssd handles the OS and a couple of apps (in this case, Logic). and all my other files are kept on my old drive? I ask because my current hard drive has 1 TB of data already on it (out of 2 tb) and the new ssd is only 1Tb total (actually 500Gb x 2 to be specific) Thanks again for your help

Mactrunk

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
For cloning, I recommend CopyCatX.
In my experience, it is the only one that does the bit by bit exact copy.
With all of the others I've tried, I've had to reauthorize some software.
CCX has been totally transparent and reliable for me.

TheHerdForever

macrumors member
May 11, 2012
Would it be better to do a clean install of the OS and then copy files?

Interesting to say the least. I have similar needs, but I have to ask some questions first. I still have my factory HDD (1 TB) drive installed and I want to install 2 (maybe 4) SSD's in the drive bays using OWC's blue SDD drive holders/brackets. My question is: (1) how many drives can you place into the Mac Pro 5,1 WITH 2 DVD DRIVES ALREADY INSTALLED and (2) what speeds can I get using OSX software RAID on the SSD's I have (2 x Samsung 840 EVO's). I've purchased 2 Tempo Pro Plus cards, but that is going to be used for Apple's Logic/FCPX and Abode's LR/Premier/Photoshop data files.

On another note, I have decided to leave OSX on the internal SATA II ports because of the complexity of installing OSX on SSD's located on PCIe cards. If someone wants to talk me out of this by providing a simple solution to do this, I'm all ears. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.