Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mactastic91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
I'm Going to put an SSd in my 2011 mbp tonight and was wondering if I had to do anything with the operating system? Or is it as simple as just putting the SSd in? Thanks for the help.

James.

Mactastic91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
I have the SSS installed and put the os disk in and I went through a couple steps and I get to an "install Mac os x" screen, it says to select disk I want to install Mac os x and there are no options, buy if I click on utilities up top I see an option for the SSd. Please help

Tyrion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2002
I have the SSS installed and put the os disk in and I went through a couple steps and I get to an "install Mac os x" screen, it says to select disk I want to install Mac os x and there are no options, buy if I click on utilities up top I see an option for the SSd. Please help

You have to enter "disk utility" using the "utilities" option. Use this tool to format your SSD to HFS+. Then the installer should recognize the drive.

Mactastic91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
I am there and I clicked on my ssd on the left hand side but the bottom buttons won't let me click them. The verify disk permissions, verify disk man this is depressing.

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
I am there and I clicked on my ssd on the left hand side but the bottom buttons won't let me click them. The verify disk permissions, verify disk man this is depressing.

To properly format your drive, click the SSD on the left, then go into partition. Change the volume scheme to 1 partition, and set that to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". Also, in the options menu at the bottom, make sure the disc is partitioned with a GUID partition table.

Mactastic91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
To properly format your drive, click the SSD on the left, then go into partition. Change the volume scheme to 1 partition, and set that to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". Also, in the options menu at the bottom, make sure the disc is partitioned with a GUID partition table.

I got it installed and it's working. however I didn't make sure to check the GUID partion table... Anyways I'm really dissapointed at the performance. I installed a kingston ssd now v series and its not much faster. Hmm...Do I have to install the os on the ssd when it boots up again? P.S. My computer boot up in 28sec with the hdd. And now around 25 with the ssd. I havent noticed a difference in the snappiness of opening apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.