Installing SSD in 2007 iMac 20"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by chelsea9899, Dec 1, 2014.

1. chelsea9899 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

ive got a 240gb SSD all ready to go and wondered if it'll be fine to just slap it straight in to my 2007 imac 20". the installation will be fine but the videos ive seen online (OWC) only seem to be about putting another 3.5 HDD in and not an SSD. I've read or seen mentioned that it may require a case to go around the SSD to make sure it fits but i've recently put and SSD into my oter mac, a mac mini and it all went well with no need for a case.

so can i just pop this straight in? your help or links/vids would be greatly appreciated!!!

thanks in advance!!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can put it in without a problem. The iMac takes a 3.5" form factor drive, but the SSD is 2.5". It'll move around unless affixed to something or put into an adapter.

3. chelsea9899 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the speedy reply. so with the SSD came a little plastic mount type thing. im presuming this isnt an adaptor? as it's a desktop, i cant see that it would move around a lot, but is it still best to try and get an adaptor/case for it?

thanks again!

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A 3.5" adapter may have been included. If the SSD fits into the plastic thing and makes it be 3.5" then it's an adapter for it.

5. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Or just use some double-stick or duct tape to adhere it. Cover as little as possible of the drive to allow heat dissipation, and remember to attach, in some manner, the temp sensor.