Installing SSD in iMac - Warranty is Void?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by EyalAmirMusic, Apr 9, 2012.

1. EyalAmirMusic macrumors newbie

Hey guys.
    My new iMac (27'', i7) should be coming in the next 1-2 days - couldn't wait for the refresh as my 2010 MBP is not carrying the load and I need a new computer ASAP.

Anyway - I decided not to put in an SSD because of the crazy pricing, but after reading everything that was said in this forum about the issue, I realize that I'm not sure I've made the right decision...

My question is: will it void the warranty/applecare if an Apple certified tech will install the drive inside the iMac? I've read a few contrasting answers to this all over the web and would like to know the reality about this.

Obviously the warranty won't cover SSD damage but I'd like to know that I'm covered in case something else fails in the future.

Also: Can you recommend a reliable and not super expensive tech in NYC that will be able to do that?

Eyal

2. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

You bought a brand new Imac, because you couldnt wait 2 months, and now will void the warranty by installing a SSD on your own.

3. All Taken macrumors 6502a

I phoned Apple about this 2 days ago as I had a similar question. Ignore the guy above, totally unhelpful.

The response I got after having the answer checked with Executive Relations was that you can have a Apple Authorised Service Centre install the drive, the drive will not be covered, full system warranty is still valid, and last of all I asked what would happen in 6 months if I had a system issue and took it to a Apple store? Will they open it up and see the SSD and call VOID? The answer was no, any service centre has access to the database Apple use to track repair history, it will note the install was done on bla bla by bla bla bla and that it is authorised.

Hope that helps clear things up.

4. Bear macrumors G3

Tekserve.

5. EyalAmirMusic thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answers!

I called Tekserve but they said they would charge a 160$ (!!!) for it. Isn't that just a little too much?

I also called a few other places I saw on Apple's websites, and one of them, J&R told me they would do it for 69$. Did anyone have experience with them?

6. All Taken macrumors 6502a

You're welcome

I'd go with the $69 option, service centres have to abide by Apples repair rules, if it goes wrong you're covered. Installing a SSD in an iMac is incredibly simple business.

7. kitsunestudios macrumors regular

That actually is pretty close to what I was quoted by a non-Apple Certified shop that "did macs". A local Apple Certified Service shop also confirmed they could add a third-party SSD without voiding the warranty, but didn't give me a direct quote.