Installing SSD in late 2015 iMac issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tackit, May 3, 2017.

1. tackit macrumors newbie

I have a late 2015 27" iMac and bought a Samsung EVO 500gb SSD to replace the original 1TB drive. I also got an enclosure. I was able to erase the SSD drive and install Sierra without any issues and use the drive just fine from the enclosure via USB 3.0.

I then decided to open up the iMac and install the SSD with the OWC cable. All went fine, but when I try to boot it up, it will show the no entry sign and flash the Apple logo as though it's trying to boot up, but will not actually manage it.

I'm currently having to use the old HDD in the enclosure until I find out why.

I have not stuck the screen in place yet.

HELP!

2. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 6502a

nambuccaheadsau

3. tackit thread starter macrumors newbie

I fitted the short heat temp cable with stick on sensor for the drive.

The computer is almost new and not been used much at all, like only a few months, I cant believe it's the SATA cable.

4. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Why did you add that cable? I believe that cable is no longer needed if you run El Capitan or Sierra.

5. tackit thread starter macrumors newbie

I used it as when researching the job, I found I needed it. Maybe that info was incorrect.

6. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 6502a

nambuccaheadsau

You need it on 27" iMacs still, not the 21.5".

7. Zilthy macrumors newbie

Zilthy

When you boot from the old drive in the enclosure, with the new SSD installed, do you see the new SSD in Disk Utility?

8. tackit thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it was visible, but I've installed the original HDD and sealed it up and do not plan on opening it up again now. I'm happy using the SSD as an external via USB.

Thanks for the replies.