Installing SSD in MBP. Have a question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dangerfish, Apr 9, 2011.

1. dangerfish macrumors 6502

I am going to install a 40 GB Mercury Extreme Pro in my MBP (15" mid 2010) for faster boot and application performance. I will install it in the main HD spot and move the regular HD to the optical drive bay with an Optibay. Then I figure I need to boot into the regular HD and then format the new SSD. My question then is, how do I move the appropriate data to the new SSD. My Applications, Library and System files total about 25 GB. My User folder totals about 185 GB. My plan was to leave the User folder on the regular HD and move everything else to the SSD. Can I just drag those 3 folders to the new SSD? Do I need to use Super Duper or CCC? I dont have an external inclosure to do anything before installing the SSD.
    TIA.

Jay

2. NikFinn, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011

NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Check out this lifehacker link. Worked wonders for me.

Edit- If your iTunes library isn't recognized, press Control + Option while opening iTunes and select the iTunes library file on your HDD. Went through all these steps yesterday, and had no problems whatsoever.

3. hannaar85 macrumors newbie

install the SSD in the bay you are going to. then place the disk that came with ur mac (MAC OSX disc). start up from disc and install OSX - since you are removing ur dvd drive buy an external one to do this. from there follow the instructions on the installation of mac osx. then when it asks you about migrating files from a previous system select ur old HD once uve had it installed. OSX utility should migrate it all. then u can delete what u dont need from ur SSD. good luck!

4. Tonepoet, Apr 9, 2011

Tonepoet macrumors regular

Just dragging over the files will miss invisible files OSX needs to work properly, boot 'n such. Although I forgot how to go about it ( think there's a checkbox you have to hit or something), using Carbon Copy Cloner in the proper configuration can make a perfectly functional bootable replica of your entire HDD to the target disc. I'm sure that it's also much faster to copy from one HDD connected directly to a SATA II port to another, than it is to install the same amount of data for OSX from the DVD drive. Pressing option during startup should show you all potential bootable drives BTW, so if you can boot from the HDD in the optical drive and I have no idea why you couldn't, it should show up as an option. I see no reason why you should need an external enclosure if using Carbon Copy Cloner in this manner, although I'm not sure if the target SSD will be big enough to do a clone...

5. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

This is an interesting upgrade. I might consider when I have some time on my hands. Would there be any reason why not to do this upgrade? Maybe trouble with file managements on 2 drives? Why do people move the HDD to the optibay, couldn't they just plas the SSD there? I don't know much about this process.

I never use my optical drive so this seems more efficient.

6. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

If you use your optical drive a lot, it doesn't make very much sense to do it. File management is really simple, as your user/home folder stays on the hdd. The optibay only supports SATA 2 (3.0gbps) while the hdd bay supports SATA 3 (6.0 Gbps). Many new SSDs are now supporting SATA 3 so it makes more sense to move the hdd out of that slot. For me, I moved the SSD to the optibay because my drive is physically too tall (12.5mm) to fit in the optibay. Also, if your hdd doesn't have it's own shock protection, it's safer to keep it in the hard drive bay so it can use the SMS.

7. G-Money macrumors member

I wouldn't recommend putting the SSD in the optibay, because there are often issues waking from sleep if your OS is in the optical drive bay instead of the hard drive spot. I tried doing that for a while, but eventually went with HDD in the optibay.

8. dangerfish, Apr 9, 2011

dangerfish thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I found the setting in CCC that will let me do what I need. I cant just clone the entire HDD because I have over 200 GB of stuff on it. My SSD in only 40 GB. So I need to select only the Apps and System stuff. I think if I just uncheck the User folder in CCC, clone everything else to the SSD, then I will be able to boot off the SSD and be good to go.
    If you have a newer computer and a newer SSD, then you definitely want to install your SSD in the original HDD slot to take advantage of SATA 3. But my MBP and my SSD only have SATA 2. So that is not the reason for swapping placement. It is because of the reason GMoney stated; your computer will have problems with sleep if you put the SSD in the optical drive slot.
    The only reason not to do the upgrade would be if you would miss having your Super Drive immediately available. I have never used it so I wont miss it.

Attached Files:

9. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

This was posted in the link/quote I posted.

I have had no problems with sleep and having the boot drive (SSD) in the optical bay.

10. dangerfish thread starter macrumors 6502

I had already read the Lifehacker article 3 or 4 times before posting here. My confusion was that I couldnt find a setting that would allow me to selectively clone from the HDD. I finally found it in CCC under (go figure) Cloning Options. So I posted the screen cap for the benefit of others.
    I wonder why you are not having problems with SSD in the Optibay? That problem is mentioned in the Lifehacker article and in other articles I read.
    Thanks.

Jay

11. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

I've previously read that people have had problems when the computer goes to sleep due to inactivity. Putting the computer manually (closing the lid, or using the keyboard shortcut) haven't caused any problems for me. I've yet to try letting it go to sleep due to inactivity solely because this never happens in real world usage for me.

12. marc11 macrumors 68000

I don't understand why you would move your HDD to the optibay, just leave it where it is and install the SDD in the optibay, there is no advantage to having the HDD in the optibay at all.

13. dangerfish thread starter macrumors 6502

From the Lifehacker article
    Update: It seems that connecting the SSD to the optical drive slot will give you problems waking from sleep, since the MacBook doesn't look to that SATA port for your main drive. I did not notice this before, as I don't sleep my computer. So, instead of installing your SSD in the Optibay, you'll want to disconnect your regular hard drive, install the SSD in that slot, and then install your old drive in the Optibay and continue as written.
    I have read this in other places as well. It will take me all of 2 minutes to swap the SSD for the HDD so I figure go ahead and do it so that I dont have to tear down the machine again if I do run into the problems others have reported.

14. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You also want to put the SSD in the hard drive slot on any 2011 MBP, as the optibay is only sata2