Installing SSD on 2012 Macbook Pro 13 in Pics

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pavlovonline, Dec 26, 2012.

1. pavlovonline macrumors newbie

I installed the Samsung 830 128gb ssd into my mid 2012 Macbook pro, replacing the optical drive.

I used the following video as a guide:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds_6IET3siE

The inside of my macbook was different from the video - there were a few more cables to remove and the optical drive was a bit more difficult to get out.

For ssd to get recognized, I had to first format it, then install Mountain Lion on it.

Attached Files:

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I find that iFixit guides are some of the most accurate ones out there.

3. djfmf macrumors member

why not the other way around with the hd in the hd caddy?

4. Livewings macrumors regular

Congrats on your purchase. It was wise and clever. Too bad, Sillypore doesn't have Samsung SSDs locally. :(

5. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Does the ssd work fine in the optical bay for you? Do the speeds jump around?

6. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Totally agree.

Much cleaner.

----------

I think the optical bay is finicky in the 2011 MBP (Sandy Bridge). 2012 should be SATAIII for both.

7. murkeywaters macrumors newbie

You have just have just done the install I will be doing in the next week or so on my 2012 13"MBP, as yours is up and running could I just ask a few questions?

The SSD carrier/mount you used is that specific for a 2012 as lots of ones I see on the bay don't mention 2012 models and I was wondering if there would be a problem lining up the screws?

Also are you getting full read/write speeds i.e.; is the SATA connection recognising as 6mb/s SATA3

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I may be wrong, but I'm thinking the HDD will be protected by the motion sensor in the HDD bay, but not in the optibay. Whereas the SSD doesn't need that protection.

9. pavlovonline thread starter macrumors newbie

hi everyone, just saw replies

@murkeywaters:
    I have 2012 13 non retina macbook pro. The caddy I used fit the ssd in perfectly, however, 2 of the holes on the sides were so deep that my screwdriver wasn't reaching the screws. So I had to use a tremel to widen the hole openings to get the screwdriver in. Otherwise, ssd fits in just fine, and the caddy fits in well into the unibody.

I have not tested the full speed benchmark wise but I can definitely feel it. I have 8gb 1600mhz vengeance ram installed and my mac now boots up in about 10-15 secs. Amazing.

@djmfm
    Didn't consider that option, but have not had any problems with the ssd in caddy where it is.

T5Brick
    iFixit was def helpful for figuring out the right screwdrivers. I only ended up using the phillips (I believe)

SDave:
    I believe the 830 ssd is only SATAII, not III, but the 840 is, however 840 uses lower quality memory from my research and people recommend the 830 for reliability.

840 uses new technology where they store 3 bits in each cell of memory instead of 2 (830). This increases read/write access to each cell and wears each cell out faster. So 830 seemed to be a better choice for that.

Anyways, I've been very glad with the purchase so far, and migration was fairly hassle free as to what I was expecting.

10. rizzo41999 macrumors regular

rizzo41999

Just installed a 256 GB Samsung SSD in my 13'' 2011 Macbook Pro. It was a synch and slashed a good 30-45 seconds on boot!

11. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    owc videos

i recently installed a new ssd boot drive, 16 gigs of ram and an hdd in the optical bay of my new MBP using the OWC vids ( and data doubler ) and it was super easy.

i also watched their vid to replace my ipod battery.

pretty amazing the wealth of technical info out there...for free.

12. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Just outta curiosity, did you disconnect the battery when you installed the SSD? iFixit recommends to but I've videos where people don't bother doing it.

13. HipsterGG macrumors member

HipsterGG

I've never took the battery out, doesn't seem that necessary to me.

14. MaclandValhalla macrumors member

MaclandValhalla

Congrats! Have you noticed a significant speed improvement?

15. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I disconnect it everytime. It takes like 2 seconds of doing it anyway so why not?

16. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I agree but I've read that the battery connector's sides are fragile and it's easy to break it (via the comments on iFixit).

17. rizzo41999 macrumors regular

rizzo41999

I took it out to clean some of the dust that was hanging around it. However, I don't think it's essential, but yeah I would go with their suggestion and take it out.