Installing ssd question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by windows4life, Jun 7, 2014.

1. windows4life macrumors newbie

i just bought a macbook pro from craigslist and theres and apple id linked to the mac still but i was wondering i was gonna upgrade it to an ssd anyways, if i replaced the harddrive with the ssd would i get a fresh computer that i could log in with my own apple id? id have to get another operating system for it i know, i just dont know what would happen

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sort of... but you would need to have purchased OS X under your AppleID to be able to install it on that machine. I assume here your machine is on this list and can run Mavericks? If so, start the App Store app under the current install and login to the App Store with your Apple ID and "purchase" the free Mavericks OS and download it, but don't install it. The ~5GB installer will be in your Applications folder. Then use this app and a 8GB USB key to make an installer.

Now install your SSD then option key boot to the USB key you made. From the install screen use Disk Utility to erase the SSD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then quit Disk Utility and install the OS. This will give you your SSD with a fresh install of Mavs under your AppleID.

3. alex0002 macrumors 6502

Perhaps more info is needed about the model of MacBook Pro and the version of OS X that is running on it.

Most of the more recent models beginning 2011 supported Internet Recovery, meaning the whole reinstallation can be done online. That will get you the version of OS X that was originally installed when it was new.

If you want to install the latest production release of OS X which is 10.9 a.k.a Mavericks, then you can follow the instructions listed in the post above.

In any case, you'll want to sign up for an apple-id if you don't already have one.
    https://appleid.apple.com/