Installing stand-alone Windows XP SP3 on 2nd HD without Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by iprashant.menon, Mar 3, 2010.

1. iprashant.menon macrumors newbie

Having just outfitted my Macbook with a second HD today (sans optical drive) I was hoping to be able to install Windows XP SP3 on it. I know I can install Windows without creating a partition but I'm unable to burn a copy of the drivers necessary through Bootcamp (3.0.1) because it requires me to partition the OS X (10.6.2) drive before it will let me burn the drivers.

I can't seem to find the drivers .dmg in the package contents as others have, maybe it's been removed from this version of Bootcamp.

Does anyone know if I'll be able to load the necessary drivers off of the SL dvd? Does the SL dvd have the latest version of the drivers? I just bought a copy of SL this weekend.

This is the latest version of drivers I could find on the Apple website.

Any comments/answers & general advice welcome. Just to clarify again, I have a Macbook with one HD carrying SL and I'm trying to get the 2nd HD to carry a stand-alone XP.

Thanks all.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The SL dvd has the Boot Camp 3.0 drivers you need to upgrade to 3.0.1 online.

The drivers are in an ISO partition on the disk which you need to extract carefully. Or, if you have a USB optical drive, just boot to Windows and stick it in there. It should find the drivers just fine.

B

3. iprashant.menon thread starter macrumors newbie

I managed to download XP3 as an iso file. Burned it as an image and loaded it onto my MB. Tried 'c' boot, didn't pick up. Tried 'option' boot, didn't pick up.

Is it cause I didn't use bootcamp to partition anything? I thought it should be easy as loading up an XP3 cd & picking my 2nd HD to install onto?

Am I missing something?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

How's your optical drive connected? USB? Some combinations of Macs and USB controllers don't like each other at boot....

Can you verify that the disc you burned is bootable on some other machine?

B

5. iprashant.menon thread starter macrumors newbie

USB to an external optical drive. The MB is able to pick up the SL install disc when I pop that in but not the XP ISO.

I'll try to verify the XP cd on another computer.

6. iprashant.menon thread starter macrumors newbie

So I've verified that the CD is good.

What's strange is that once I'm in Snow Leopard, the XP cd is mounted on my desktop. So my CD is working and so is my external CD drive. I just can't seem to be able to boot off the disc.

Again, the 'option' boot key only shows my Macintosh HD.

This is frustrating, has anyone come across anything like this? Any solutions??

7. iprashant.menon thread starter macrumors newbie

Just tried to copy the file to my USB flash drive & boot off that but even that isn't showing up in my boot option menu!!!