Installing system challenge

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by --kristian--, Oct 17, 2011.

1. --kristian-- macrumors newbie

I've got a new PC beside me. It doesn't have an optical drive. I need to get an operating system onto it. I'm on a mac.

---
    I set the bios to boot from USB CD/ROM and hooked up an external DVD drive. Popped in a dvd with the windows seven ISO burned onto it. (used disk utilities /restore to put ISO onto DVD)

No luck, "LOADING OPERATING SYSTEM..." but the DVD drive is silent as a mouse, it's not doing anything.

-

So I set the BIOS to boot from USB ZIP (I'm doin OK for a guy who's never had a PC eh?) I use disk utilities to reformat my flash drive (one partition/Master Boot Record/OS Extended) and then again to restore the Windows ISO onto the drive.

-

Didn't work. Tried Formatting it as MS-DOS, didn't work either.

-

Ahhh the joy of a new PC.. any ideas?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Check the BIOS settings, first off. Some BIOSes have a setting called "Boot USB Devices First", which needs to be turned on in order for the computer to USB boot.

The second thing to check is your creation method for your USB. What I recommend doing is this:
    • Format the USB to FAT32 / MBR scheme in Disk Utility
    • "Burn" your image to the USB drive, overwriting its contents - there are various ways to do this