Installing the 0009 firmware for crucial M4

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Benito, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

OK guys, I got my new Crucial M4 512 G SSD in my hands now. I have the 0009 firmware update on a CD ROM. Simple question, how do I get the 0009 firmware update installed on the new M4? The M4 is not in my computer, is it connected via USB to my MBP and doesn't have anything on it yet, not even MacOSX.

2. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

You need to put the M4 in your computer for the update to work. Make sure you put the CD in before you take it apart to put in the M4.

To reboot via the CD so that it updates the drive in your MBP, hold down C when booting.

You can also connect your current drive via USB and hold down the option key when booting to choose to boot from that drive. This is only necessary if you're running into problems with the firmware update and/or you want to clone your drive using SuperDuper!

3. Benito thread starter macrumors 6502

Benito

Is there no way of updating the firmware of the M4 with it connected via USB? I was hoping to get it all set up externally and ensuring that it was working properly and then installing it inside my MBP.

4. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

Not that I am aware of, it needs to be connected to a SATA controller.

5. Benito thread starter macrumors 6502

Benito

OK I opened up a windows machine at work and installed it that way, thanks for your help.